Xantrex RV2012 Inverter issue

michaelivan

The inverter in my '03 Windsor has started to misbehave.  It is a RV2012.  For some reason, it will occasionally shut off on it's own.  It doesn't seem to be throwing an error to the RC7 GS control panel so not sure where to start.  I did notice that I don't hear any fans running in the inverter so my first thought is the cooling fan has decided to give up.  Before I start tearing things apart, I am just wondering if the fan is a serviceable part and where is the best place to source a replacement.

Edited by michaelivan

If it does happen to fully go out, I have one that I pulled from my 2000 Windsor (Looks like it was a replacement for the original one). We went to LiFePO4 batteries, so we needed to change it.

As for serviceability, it could be heat. I can check the original manuals (if I can find them soon) for any troubleshooting steps it may have for this scenario. What kind of load was it under?

First thing I do is remove the communication cable on both the inverter and display and clean the ends.  One option is use Deoxit, an electrical cleaner.

But the fans may be replacdable, here's a link to someone replacing them in a RV3012 https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f240/xantrex-cooling-fans-191774.html

I removed my Inverter last year when I thought I had a problem, luckily I didn't.   But when I removed mine I marked/labeled all the wires and took plenty of pictures.  Not too bad but the thing is pretty heavy. 

On 9/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, Bjohnsonmn said:

If it does happen to fully go out, I have one that I pulled from my 2000 Windsor (Looks like it was a replacement for the original one). We went to LiFePO4 batteries, so we needed to change it.

As for serviceability, it could be heat. I can check the original manuals (if I can find them soon) for any troubleshooting steps it may have for this scenario. What kind of load was it under?

The only steady load is when we are traveling and it is running a Dutch Aire 120v conversion on my Norcold 1200.  Seems to be drawing less that 5 amps under load. We try to make sure everything else is off.  I have checked/cleaned both ends of the 4 wire cable and that didn't seem to help.  

I might be interested in the used unit as a backup.