Cable reel

bonfield

The main cable to the rv in my 2004 endevour is super heavy and i have problems foldng it away after use in the compartment.Has anyone come up with any ideas to make this easier including a reel that would fiit iin that narrow rear compartment or even a much lighter cable i know i am not the only one with this problem. Thanks

23 minutes ago, bonfield said:

The main cable to the rv in my 2004 endevour is super heavy and i have problems foldng it away after use in the compartment.Has anyone come up with any ideas to make this easier including a reel that would fiit iin that narrow rear compartment or even a much lighter cable i know i am not the only one with this problem. Thanks

The cable for your MH is rated for 50 amps.  If you find a lighter one, it may be unsafe to use.  Monaco actually used a very durable cable that has great cold weather characteristics.  

Don’t know about the reel and the issues….but if the cable is not fitting then are you sure that you are “laying it down” evenly when you reel it in?  I am careful to guide the cable in and let it lay or wrap evenly over the drum….then go back and forth like the old “level wind” on a bait casting fishing reel. Never had any issues with fitting or being difficult.

One “off the wall” solution would be to cut some off.  Seriously if after you experiment and find how much of the last 10 - 15 feet is giving you problems….cut it off and put on a new plug.  The Camco 50 Amp replacement plug is high quality.  Then purchase a 20 or 25 ft Camco extension and use it when needed.

I would also use the Aerospace 303 plastic conditioner or something like the sprays you use on automotive interior dashes or vinyl.  Perhaps the rubber or plastic jacket is a bit dirty or tacky.  Most always wipe them down with a rag or a washcloth when coming in (hold the rag in your hand) to make sure they don’t get cut or scratched or abraded.

maybe Monaco goofed, but we have few that complain about retrieving.  We HAVE had folks that their reels failed and the “cheap” solution is to remove the reel and attach the cable leads directly to the junction box’s terminals.  That does require more pushing and pulling…..but costs a lot less than a new reel when folks are on a budget.

Others may have more insight,,,,

Guest Ray Davis

When he spoke of folding the cable I took it to mean he doesn't have a reel.  He also speaks of a narrow compartment which complicates things.

Here is a tub but it may be to large. 17" HC-75 - Caddy Stromberg Carlson RV Drinking Water Hoses,RV Power Cord   https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/HC-75.html?feed=npn&msclkid=57f2c78bfc4a188ef878a4105f83b458&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing | Shop - Accessories and Parts - RLSA&utm_term=4577129470680387&utm_content=General

As Tom stated shortening is an option, if your plug is good, cut the other end.   Also as Tom said don't buy a lighter gauge or cheap cord.   Lighter could be unsafe and cheap one get really stiff when cold.   If you think you have trouble stowing it now, try a cheap one cold.

12 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

When he spoke of folding the cable I took it to mean he doesn't have a reel.  He also speaks of a narrow compartment which complicates things.

Here is a tub but it may be to large. 17" HC-75 - Caddy Stromberg Carlson RV Drinking Water Hoses,RV Power Cord   https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/HC-75.html?feed=npn&msclkid=57f2c78bfc4a188ef878a4105f83b458&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing | Shop - Accessories and Parts - RLSA&utm_term=4577129470680387&utm_content=General

As Tom stated shortening is an option, if your plug is good, cut the other end.   Also as Tom said don't buy a lighter gauge or cheap cord.   Lighter could be unsafe and cheap one get really stiff when cold.   If you think you have trouble stowing it now, try a cheap one cold.

According to his manual and the sales brochure, he has a power reel (standard…not an option).

Agreed….but with the issues and ages of molded Monaco plugs, I would cut and replace. Many have had open neutrals.  Mine worked great until it failed.  It was a flea kick bump from a bay door being pushed out by the gas strut….not a 10 pound sledge.  There have been other issues….so, when in doubt, cut snd replace, has been my advice and folks have been happy…

I should have said to tighten all the lugs and use a few times….retighten and then fill with Dow Corning #5 potting or insulating compound.  Just as good as a molded one.

Guest Ray Davis

Yeah he should have a reel but Monaco didn't always follow the program.  Anyway this doesn't really clear things but here's his comment elsewhere.

Has anyone come up with any ideas to make this easier including a reel that would fiit iin that narrow rear compartment 

8 hours ago, bonfield said:

My coach does not have a reel it is hand coiled and it very hard more so when cold.

Bummer.  I pulled both your owners manual and the sales brochure from the HR site.  The brochure said the reel was powered….sometimes the first production does not have all the “added these” items.

since that is the case, I would seriously consider doing a silicone wipe down with a rag over the entire length of the cord.  Maybe letting it soak and dry for a day, then repeat.  The silicone will have enough solvent to get off and dirt.  If the cord is really dirty, then using window cleaner or a mild Simple Green solution will clean it.  A wet towel will remove all soap residue. Then treat twice with silicone to rejuvenate the jacket.  Yes, in cold weather even the best Monaco cords get a little stiff.

Just curious?  Did you purchase new?  If not, then is there a button (see your manual….look up cord or AC in the index) for a powered reel.?  This would not be the first time that Monaco did not use the advertised components….  If you do have the button, then a previous owner may have removed the reel.  It can be added back in.  This also assumes that you have the OEM cord set.  If a longer one was the replacement, then the extra length would account for your difficulties…..and the replacements are not as “cold weather” friendly as the OEM…

Hope this helps….

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dwight Lindsey said:

I installed a Glendinning cable reel in the roadside rear compartment where the transfer switch is located in my 2005 Knight.   My Knight should be pretty similar to your Endeavour, regarding the compartment layout.

Picture attached.

Dwight

image.jpeg

Dwight,

Is that an IOTA 50R ATS in there?  I can't make it out...  I pulled mine so I can't remember.  If it is the OEM IOTA, it is a FIRE and SAFETY issue and needs to be replaced.  There are several topics here, but the most used on is the ESCO LPT50BRD.  Others have used other brands....but this one seems the most bullet proof.  If you need info, call me...

Thanks,

Tom:

That picture was taken a long time ago, probably 2010, just after I installed the Glendinning cord reel.  Sometime around 2017 I bought the ESCO transfer switch, but did not immediately install it.  Before I got it installed, the IOTA melted!  Fortunately it did not cause a fire.   I now have the ESCO and a Progressive surge protector in that bay.

Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight Lindsey said:

Tom:

That picture was taken a long time ago, probably 2010, just after I installed the Glendinning cord reel.  Sometime around 2017 I bought the ESCO transfer switch, but did not immediately install it.  Before I got it installed, the IOTA melted!  Fortunately it did not cause a fire.   I now have the ESCO and a Progressive surge protector in that bay.

Dwight

I suspected that…..as I knew your “personality”.  BUT, posting that occasionally helps a “new to them owner” be alert and avoid an issue.  GOOD DEAL!