Locating out DC-DC Charger, Where?

Bjohnsonmn

2000 Windsor 32PB

We are rounding the corner on completing the renovation of our beloved "Loaf". There are a few things left to complete, one is the location of our DC-DC charger from Victron.

The 32PB is a short and slide-less model. Perfect in size for us, but a little tight on space for anything below the floor. I have a Victron DC-DC charger to pull power from the chassis 12v system and top off my house 12v system with LiFePO4 batteries.

The options I have for locating the device are limited. According to the documentation, it can get hot and shouldn't be located where there are flammable/explosive gasses. So, that rules out the bay where the chassis battery is located (but that would be the ideal location). It also rules out the inner core of my rig where my inverter and other new 12v equipment is located. Bummer.

Where would you locate this thing? It's about the size of a Miriam Webster dictionary and a bit on the heavier side for its size. We replaced the chassis battery with a new style, non-serviceable one. I don't think that means sealed as it must have a breather hole.

The question I am pondering: Is the warning about explosive gasses closer to an actual warning with a high likelihood of happening? Or, is it closer to the Pro65 warning that I see when I board a plane in LA saying the area I am entering contains substances known to the state of California to cause cancer?

I swapped out my locations for the chassis batteries. 

Moved them where the old inverter was and moved the inverter and DC-Dc in the bay 

465A4FD0-CE72-45DD-8F9F-FD2659AE8E8A.jpeg

6A36A5E6-CFD8-4C34-A9A2-7218BEC4B38B.jpeg

I look at all the electronics that are already in the bay with the batteries and would think the same as you. The warning is a covering liability for Victron. 

• Like 2

Looks nice! Ours is even more compact than that. the house and chassis batteries were together (stacked with slide trays) in the rear-most bay on the passenger side. Only the rear electrical bay (house and chassis switches, solenoid, fuses etc) are behind it. The next closest bay is at the middle of the coach and where I put the new house batteries, solar controller, etc. The inverter had to go in the basement where the Trace was located. I don't have enough vertical clearance to mount the MP2 upright, so I have it mounted on its back (verified compliant with Victron folks, they just don't want it on its side).

Here's a few photos of my work so far:No description available.No description available.

Making custom 4/0 cables without a ratcheting cut tool will turn you into Popeye!

Very nice! Yeah I don’t have solar, so I have a bit more room (and 2’ with an extra bay it looks like)

Yeah the MP2 can lay flat. Also my transfer switch is on the drivers side in the bay with the shore power. That bay is wide open for future use. 

I see you added another set of breakers (2-30amp with panel) is this a safety thing? Or did you go the sub panel route? 

I have a few questions as it’s just my interest. I’ve jumped  into this some, but my needs are not off grid at this time (hence no solar) 

Also, do you have a cerbo? Just picked one up to install. 

and yes, I bought the hydraulic crimper and ratchet one. 

Thanks! I went with the two sub-sub panels to have a local disconnect in the inverter compartment. Technically, they are not likely required as those lines are protected at the main 110v panels inside the bedroom, but I wanted a way to affirmatively isolate the inverter when I'm working on things. It also made it easier to wire in by giving me a really solid place to add more 110v wire length.

I have the cerbo, but haven't reached that stage of the installation. That should be coming up soon!

5 minutes ago, Bjohnsonmn said:

Thanks! I went with the two sub-sub panels to have a local disconnect in the inverter compartment. Technically, they are not likely required as those lines are protected at the main 110v panels inside the bedroom, but I wanted a way to affirmatively isolate the inverter when I'm working on things. It also made it easier to wire in by giving me a really solid place to add more 110v wire length.

I have the cerbo, but haven't reached that stage of the installation. That should be coming up soon!

Yeah I went direct into the panel inside. 

Ran them up into the back of the rear cap. 

Super clean work! I’m not 100% done, another smart 200 battery and the cerbo. I hate the outlets in the Coach, haven’t figured out yet how to replace them. Stupid snap/crimp 

Edited by JDCrow

Brad check out https://www.explorist.life/. He builds van systems and puts the DC to DC charger in lots of different places inside the camper/van. He has all kinds of calculators and wire diagrams too. He also has a YouTube channel that has helped a lot. I am lucky and have the outside electrical bay where my DC to DC is located.

• Like 1

I put mine in the battery compartment but handled the explosive gas issue by using agms for the engine batteries.   Was able to put three Red Top Optimas in place of the two gr 31s that were there.

4 minutes ago, TomV48 said:

I put mine in the battery compartment but handled the explosive gas issue by using agms for the engine batteries.   Was able to put three Red Top Optimas in place of the two gr 31s that were there.

That's a good idea. I'm not sure if I can make that work in mine, though I'll take a look. I have one of those mega 143 pound batteries in my rig.

Right where my RV was designed for four golf cart batteries I was able to build three 200 amp lithium batteries and squeeze them into three group 24 size battery boxes and put those in the place of the golf cart batteries.  Gives me handles but the lids wouldn't fit so.  Never figured out a proper lid for the boxes nor did I ever figure out how to make the spaghetti wiring look any better but it's a work in progress and most importantly it works well

Edited by TomV48