Has any one hung a 12 vdc ceiling fan?

TomV48

Well I have the fan in my possession. 36-in blade diameter for blade 12 volt.   Of course it has three screw mounting points in about a four and a half inch diameter circle.  So no real chance to hit a ceiling joist with all three legs.  The blades are very lightweight but the motor hub itself weighs 6 1/2 or 7 lbs and the instructions talk about how to balance it to avoid wobbling which is of course a problem anytime you put up a ceiling fan.

I have a master plan for installing it. It uses a wireless remote control and I can get power from the adjacent fluorescent light which we don't use very often anyway so I can turn the light off and steal the power from the source cord.

Before I start poking holes in the ceiling I wonder if anyone else is hung one and what they did to support it against the ceiling.

Edited by TomV48

11 minutes ago, Wrayj1 said:

We installed one and used a 1 x 10 finished piece of wood to attach it to the ceiling with a hole for the wiring. We pulled a round ac duct to locate the aluminum ceiling structure.

So then you hung the board along  just one aluminum ceiling joist?   

My  joist are 16 inches apart and to catch the second joist would have to involve a stupid big board.(I think)

Edited by TomV48

Thank you Wrayj1

By any chance do you have a photograph you can share.   I have the raised panel pieces off the original norcold refrigerator which we replaced I've cut the raised panel section out of the freezer door portion and I have 10 and 1/4 x 12 1/4 solid oak.  

Edited by TomV48

1 minute ago, HJK2005 said:

Our Dynasty already had one in the bedroom. I could probably pull it down and take/post pictures of the mounting. If anyone is interested? Not 100% that it's factory but rather looks like it was. - Jonathan

That would be a big ask that I don't have the courage to ask.  But thank you for that daring suggestion.

I installed the following ceiling fan in our RV.  It comes in different sizes.

https://rvandmarine.com/product/12-volt-rv-remote-ceiling-fan-28/

Our RV had a ceiling light, so it was a simple job to replace the light with this fan. I did have to make a wooden plate to cover the opening left by the light which I then mounted the fan to. This unit is controlled by the remote, so no additional wiring was needed, I just leave the light switch on. If you have a bedroom slide, make sure you have the required clearance when the slide is in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1