Be sure to SLOWLY bleed air from water connection hose

I learned a lesson the hard way today again. I bought a new water hose for our Diplomat. So here I am setting up for a weekend at the lake. Hooked up everything.  Went to the toilet to flush it a few times to put water & deodorizer in the holding tank & there was air in the water system. The air blew the flush  hose off the nipple it attaches to the toilet. Surprised it doesn't have a hose clamp to keep it on there. No damage done. I quickly grabbed a couple towels & mopped the water up. Then I looked behind the toilet & found out what happened & pushed the hose back on the nipple. Thought I would share this to hopefully keep someone else from doing this. I will now bleed the air out when I hook up to a water source. 

Edited by Dragracer
Made a mistake
  • Like 1

• Dragracer changed the title to Be sure to SLOWLY bleed air from water connection hose
Guest Ray Davis

Now don't think I claim to be an expert,  but being a curious guy I've picked up a little here & there.

There is a thing called fluid hammer, surge, or shock.  Here is a link if anyone is interested.  https://designandengg.com/basics-of-hydraulic-surge-or-water-hammer/

Here's a brief explanation.

Water Hammer Basics in Pumps for beginners (PDF)

Water Hammer Basics

Water hammer, Pressure Surge, or hydraulic shock, is a term for the destructive pressure increase and accompanying shock wave that takes place in pipeline or piping systems when the flow rate of liquid changes suddenly. A large vapor pocket is formed because of this within the pipeline; and when this vapor pocket collapses, a highly powerful, bidirectional pressure wave propagates away from the origin at a very very high speed. In extreme situations, the magnitude of this shock wave can reach up to 100 times the closure velocity of the pocket. In the actual scenario, This huge force can force the pump shell to rupture.

On 7/22/2023 at 11:12 AM, Ray Davis said:

Now don't think I claim to be an expert,  but being a curious guy I've picked up a little here & there.

There is a thing called fluid hammer, surge, or shock.  Here is a link if anyone is interested.  https://designandengg.com/basics-of-hydraulic-surge-or-water-hammer/

Here's a brief explanation.

Water Hammer Basics in Pumps for beginners (PDF)

Water Hammer Basics

Water hammer, Pressure Surge, or hydraulic shock, is a term for the destructive pressure increase and accompanying shock wave that takes place in pipeline or piping systems when the flow rate of liquid changes suddenly. A large vapor pocket is formed because of this within the pipeline; and when this vapor pocket collapses, a highly powerful, bidirectional pressure wave propagates away from the origin at a very very high speed. In extreme situations, the magnitude of this shock wave can reach up to 100 times the closure velocity of the pocket. In the actual scenario, This huge force can force the pump shell to rupture.

I worked in utilities for several years & know the meaning of water hammer.  I have repaired many city water mains & know the importance of opening & closing water valves slowly. Now that we are back home & had a extremely good time camping at the lake,  I'm trying to figure out why I did this. lol  I bet it doesn't happen again.