Awning arm

Looks like a pull down strap is in the way, lower awning and untangle the strap it will slide down the track away from the arm and just roll the awning back up. You will have to manually pull the strap down the tube away from the arm

You have the infamous Carefree of Colorado 12 volt One Touch awning.  I'm not a big fan but that's what we have.  Back in 2009 on our first long trip to FL we were parked at the Perry GA fairgrounds for a dog show.  My wife had taken her dogs toward the show building and I was drinking coffee reading the new, it was dead calm until a big gust of wind came through and the awning billowed up and bent the front arm.  I almost crapped my pants and learned a valuable lesson.  We don't use the awning when there is the slightest chance for wind and never leave it unattended.  I had to go to the hardware store and get a step ladder and tools to somewhat straighten the arm to get it in and worked on it more when I got home.  It works but am leery of using it.

YOUR PROBLEM  >>> That is the strap that synchronizes the awning arm and tensions it.  Here is a manual that might help https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjMnOCa3ayAAxXnlmoFHaDkAVYQFnoECBEQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carefreeofcolorado.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2022%2F06%2F052930E-002.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3b-rjfDw6GtMLmqh_zoQQA&opi=89978449

If the awning works extend it and look at the other side, you will see it goes down the tube.  Can't remember exactly how it is attached but the darn thing gets very tight was the awning is extended.  Unfortunately my rig is parked in the garage and I can't extend the awning.  

There are two small shock absorbers at the top, both of mine are slightly bent and I had to makeshift an attachment as one broke from the gust of wind.  All parts are pretty much obsolete so be careful not to break anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 11:56 AM, jacwjames said:

You have the infamous Carefree of Colorado 12 volt One Touch awning.  I'm not a big fan but that's what we have.  Back in 2009 on our first long trip to FL we were parked at the Perry GA fairgrounds for a dog show.  My wife had taken her dogs toward the show building and I was drinking coffee reading the new, it was dead calm until a big gust of wind came through and the awning billowed up and bent the front arm.  I almost crapped my pants and learned a valuable lesson.  We don't use the awning when there is the slightest chance for wind and never leave it unattended.  I had to go to the hardware store and get a step ladder and tools to somewhat straighten the arm to get it in and worked on it more when I got home.  It works but am leery of using it.

YOUR PROBLEM  >>> That is the strap that synchronizes the awning arm and tensions it.  Here is a manual that might help https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjMnOCa3ayAAxXnlmoFHaDkAVYQFnoECBEQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carefreeofcolorado.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2022%2F06%2F052930E-002.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3b-rjfDw6GtMLmqh_zoQQA&opi=89978449

If the awning works extend it and look at the other side, you will see it goes down the tube.  Can't remember exactly how it is attached but the darn thing gets very tight was the awning is extended.  Unfortunately my rig is parked in the garage and I can't extend the awning.  

There are two small shock absorbers at the top, both of mine are slightly bent and I had to makeshift an attachment as one broke from the gust of wind.  All parts are pretty much obsolete so be careful not to break anything. 

James, 

Please call me 812-605-4835

thank you!

Mike,

To reiterate what I tried to explain on the phone.

I'd suggest extending the awning, there is a cover on the lower piece, take the one off on the side with the strap hanging out and take the cover off the other side and see how the strap is attached.  The strap is what keeps the inner and outer tubing in tension and keeps the awing out. 

Hopefully nothing is broken, Carefree doesn't support this awning model and unless you can find "New Old Stock" you will be out of luck.

I know that there is an upgrade for the awning arms, you can switch to the Eclipse type, not sure how much or how well they work. 

052547-101r1, Eclipse Arm Upgrade for OT.pdf

Jim, 

Please call me when you have a minute.

812-605-4835

Thanks,

Jim,

Do you know if parts can be purchased for this awning? The brackets that hold the gas shocks are broken and brittle.  The slide guide that holds the strap is in like conditions.

This awning has been discontinued for a loooooooooooooong time and parts are pretty much obsolete.  Here's a source you might try but I'd be surprised if they have what you are looking for.  https://www.rvawnings1.com/parts.html

My shock absorber mounts broke ~4 years ago but I was able to jerry rig a fix using zip ties crisscrossed and are still in place. 

There are no parts for the One Touch awning. Notta. I am not sure if RV Awnings in Tampa has any parts left. They had some but could be out of stock.

I would not sink any money into it. If you can jury rig it with cheap parts then fine. If not then you will have to look into replacing the entire assembly with a Carefree eclipse. There are some parts for the one touch you will never find. Not even RV Awnings has them.