STEP ISSUES - 2 STEP. 2005 Cheerah

Guest Al redcay

36 minutes ago, FishAR said:

I worked 5 days on and off getting my step motor in. My fingertips are still raw. Could get 2 bolts in but not the 3rd, no matter which order I used. It's obvious they installed it on a bench upside down, alignment was all sky western crooked and impossible to do from underneath. I drilled out the threaded inserts on the motor. No help.

I finally gave up and went in search of longer bolts. I think it was 10-24 (memory) that I thought looked close and bought at rural king. Nope. close but wouldn't even go through the motor.

After striking out at all the lumberyards I finally found long enough 6mm bolts in another town at Ace Hardware and used the original bolts in 2 holes and the longer bolt in the other hole, and it's fixed. I'm still not sure I have the right threads, it didn't seem like it was tightening like I wanted to so I stopped before I stripped it. I can always put a nut and lock washer on the top side since it's longer.

Edit to say: The plastic gear in my old motor was broken, but not how I figured it would be. I figured the teeth would be broken off. It was the clover looking part at the bottom of the gear that had broken. On day 3 I almost took the new motor apart and put the gear in the old one, but I got to thinking I might have just as much trouble getting it to line up.

As one who used to be the engineering manager of a fastener plant…I know a few things.  But what I was about to do on mine, like you was get a longer bolt.  Then barely taper the first 1/4” of so.  You are right…easier to assemble in manufacturing plant.  They should have ordered a special bolt, an unthreaded pilot point to get  it in…or tapered threads…otherwise, my “tapering”  the point and get it aligned and let the bolt pull down.  I gave up.  100 degF & local CW labor was less than $100 and they had the OEM motor on sale cheaper than ebay.

Glad you got it done.  I had heard drilling the housing was the trick…but maybe not.

I bought the replacement motor from a dealer and when I overhauled the old motor, bought the new plastic gear from the same dealer.  I think there was a broken tooth or two. New motor fit just fine and yes, I did unplug the power first thing before doing any other work on the step unit.  A wood block held the step in the deployed position so I could gain access to the wire harness and motor without the steps flopping around.  Easy job and  I still have a spare.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Al redcay said:

Several were helpful but it has been intermittent an we are still working on it & I will let you know when we get problem resolved.

I reread all your posts.  No pictures or stating TRAY or scissors/fold up type.  That needs to be posted…

Unless the trouble shooting steps are followed…it is gonna be guesses and whys.  Once that is done and the connections and such are good, then an intermittent is a sure sign of a failing motor and gear

NOW if you have the tray style….the condition is a nuance.  BUT if you have the common scissors or folding in and out…and if not corrected, there is a serious risk of the step failing…and someone falling and getting hurt…

From a Moderator’s viewpoint, the above information is needed so folks can help….as well as letting you be aware of the serious consequences of a failing (non tray) step…

Thanks for understanding and please provide the information and pictures…

Guest Al redcay

We finally got steps working replaced door switch , controller & motor, many reply’s were helpful & I thank all who took time to help. What a great group to be linked to.