No headlights

saflyer

My headlights aren’t operating. They don’t come on with high or low beam settings. Nor do the small lights on the front below the running lights. (I don’t know what those are called nor which switch position turns them on. Can someone please educate me on this?) The amber running and red tail lights work. I checked the fuse in the forward run bay and it’s good.

Next I plan to check the switch. Looks like I’ll have to pull the dash to access it. What is involved in that job. I see it appears to be held in place by several screws. Will it come out after removing them or is there more to it than that? I’m concerned about the possibility of breaking the dash. Wondering if this is a job I should attempt or should I take it to the shop? I’d like to do the troubleshooting myself since it might be a simple fix.

Ed            
‘05 HR Ambassador 

IMG_8191.jpeg

Edited by saflyer
Add information and photo.

1 hour ago, Elizlampe said:

I replaced my headlight switch. I was able to go from under the dash and not pull the dash out. YouTube was my friend. Just need to get the right switch. 

Linda E.

2000 Monaco diplomat. 

My switch is very difficult to access the back side. I tried to look at it but can’t get a view. Did you just do it by feel?

Every coach is different. Some you can access by pulling the dash guage panel or even have access panels from the top of the dash. Most can be accessed from underneath although depending on age and flexibility this many or may not be a consideration. Before you do that, however, you may want to use your multi-meter to test out the electric leads that connect to the lights. If you are reading low voltage it may be an issue of bad ground.

3 hours ago, saflyer said:

My switch is very difficult to access the back side. I tried to look at it but can’t get a view. Did you just do it by feel?

Mostly yes. Mine was pretty high up. I got a head flashlight to wear and scooted the drivers chair as far back as possible then hugged the steering column as close as possible. Removing the old was the hardest part. My hands aren't strong and had to use a screw driver to press the piece that held it in place. My problem was no dash lights at all. The switch out fixed that.