Substitute found for 1/4" plastic rod that holds slide awnings to the roof

Thought I would share this. Our slide awnings came unsewed at the roof end & we thought we were going to have to buy new ones. After we removed them we found them to be in real good shape except for the part that attaches to the roof. We cut 3 inches off & sewed the end back up with our home sewing machine. Went to Hobby Lobby & got a heavy duty needle & some heavy duty canvas thread. The 1/4" plastic rod that inserts into the awning then goes in the aluminum channel on the roof had become brittle & broke into little pieces. I looked all around my shop for a substitute & finally found something that would work.lol I used some TV coaxial cable for it's replacement. I measured it with my dial caliper & it's the same size as the plastic rod. I had a whole used roll of it that I guess I was saving it for something. Got the awnings put back on & done made one successful camping trip to Lake Whitney in Whitney Texas. The wind blew 25-30 mph all weekend & on Saturday we had a pretty good thunderstorm. That was a good test for our work. Awnings held up good. I found the 1/4" plastic rods on google but didn't want to wait on shipping. Hope this helps someone else. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2023 at 6:23 PM, Dragracer said:

Thought I would share this. Our slide awnings came unsewed at the roof end & we thought we were going to have to buy new ones. After we removed them we found them to be in real good shape except for the part that attaches to the roof. We cut 3 inches off & sewed the end back up with our home sewing machine. Went to Hobby Lobby & got a heavy duty needle & some heavy duty canvas thread. The 1/4" plastic rod that inserts into the awning then goes in the aluminum channel on the roof had become brittle & broke into little pieces. I looked all around my shop for a substitute & finally found something that would work.lol I used some TV coaxial cable for it's replacement. I measured it with my dial caliper & it's the same size as the plastic rod. I had a whole used roll of it that I guess I was saving it for something. Got the awnings put back on & done made one successful camping trip to Lake Whitney in Whitney Texas. The wind blew 25-30 mph all weekend & on Saturday we had a pretty good thunderstorm. That was a good test for our work. Awnings held up good. I found the 1/4" plastic rods on google but didn't want to wait on shipping. Hope this helps someone else. 

How difficult is it to remove fabric from awning cover. I have 2 covers that have pulled away from motorhome side? Ty Steve

10 hours ago, camelot said:

How difficult is it to remove fabric from awning cover. I have 2 covers that have pulled away from motorhome side? Ty Steve

Mine was still partially attached to the motorhome roof so my awning rollers didn't come un wound. I unrolled them by hand & used some 1/4" drill bits in both ends of the rollers to hold them in place while we made the repairs to the awnings. There was holes in the end of my rollers & thats where I locked them with drill bits. In order to remove the awning from the slots in the rollers I googled & found a trick to take a 1/4" drill bit & drill & elongate the slot about a inch on 1 end so you can get the canvas out of the roller. It went back together pretty easy. I attached the canvas back to the roof by sliding it back into the track with the Tv coax cable inside the canvas before I put it in the roller.To me the whole job was very easy to do. The first one took be about a hour to get off but after I figured it all out the other one came off in about 20 minutes. I used 2 ladders & had my wife help me put them back on. I removed them by myself. It took us about 10 minutes each to put them back on. If your rollers have come un wound you will need to find out how many turns to wind them back up. I bet someone on this site will know or you can find the infformation on google if you need it.

11 hours ago, Dragracer said:

Mine was still partially attached to the motorhome roof so my awning rollers didn't come un wound. I unrolled them by hand & used some 1/4" drill bits in both ends of the rollers to hold them in place while we made the repairs to the awnings. There was holes in the end of my rollers & thats where I locked them with drill bits. In order to remove the awning from the slots in the rollers I googled & found a trick to take a 1/4" drill bit & drill & elongate the slot about a inch on 1 end so you can get the canvas out of the roller. It went back together pretty easy. I attached the canvas back to the roof by sliding it back into the track with the Tv coax cable inside the canvas before I put it in the roller.To me the whole job was very easy to do. The first one took be about a hour to get off but after I figured it all out the other one came off in about 20 minutes. I used 2 ladders & had my wife help me put them back on. I removed them by myself. It took us about 10 minutes each to put them back on. If your rollers have come un wound you will need to find out how many turns to wind them back up. I bet someone on this site will know or you can find the infformation on google if you need it.

My awning is still attached to the roof, just pulled away about a foot in the center. When you say you unrolled by hand, you mean you pulled the awning out as usual and locked the ends with drill bits? Where do you get the new material? TY Steve

Steve. What I meant was that I turned the rollers that the awning was rolled up on by hand to un roll them in order to get the awnings off the rollers. I didn't have to purchase new material. I cut 3 inches off where it attaches to the roof & resewed it.  The material on both my awnings was in real good shape except where it attaches to the roof.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, camelot said:

Im sorry ! My issue is on my slide out awnings. TY Steve

No apology needed. The awnings I'm referring to are my slide out awnings. They both were barely hanging to the roof. The middle of them came un sewed & just a little on each end was all that was holding them to the roof.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, camelot said:

My awning is still attached to the roof, just pulled away about a foot in the center. When you say you unrolled by hand, you mean you pulled the awning out as usual and locked the ends with drill bits? Where do you get the new material? TY Steve

Ok let me get this square! The ends of my slideout awning has a plastic cap, i take that off? can i then entend it by pulling it open with my metal rod and then put the drill bits in to hold in place?

11 hours ago, camelot said:

Ok let me get this square! The ends of my slideout awning has a plastic cap, i take that off? can i then entend it by pulling it open with my metal rod and then put the drill bits in to hold in place?

I didn't take the caps off mine. I don't know what would happen if you did. 

Guest Ray Davis
4 hours ago, camelot said:

I dont see any other way to get to the tube to secure it to replace cover? TY Steve

Are you talking about a way to slide the material and rod into the roll-up tube?  I believe that YouTube videos show how to drill a slanted hole in the channel where the rod & material attach, and then you can feed it in or out.  It's a shortcut way of doing it.

BTW,  many times there is quite a bit of extra material wrapped up on the tube, some owners have just turned the material around.   The not-so-good material is then wrapped around the tube hopefully all good for a few more yrs.