Heat pumps/Ac

Rowdyrick

I have a 09 knight with Carrier ac/heat pumps I noticed this trip I have condensation coming off the roof when the front heat pump is on just like when the AC is on is this normal ? We have used it more then normal this trip and it working great keeping everything warm inside but I have never noticed the condensation before probably just me but I thought I would ask 

52 minutes ago, Rowdyrick said:

I have a 09 knight with Carrier ac/heat pumps I noticed this trip I have condensation coming off the roof when the front heat pump is on just like when the AC is on is this normal ? We have used it more then normal this trip and it working great keeping everything warm inside but I have never noticed the condensation before probably just me but I thought I would ask 

YES.  in the Heat Pump mode, it “freezes up” as in ice forms.  My Residential’s do the same.  There is a temperature sensor and the ice melts.  Melting ice runs off, just like condensation.  SO…you get water…either way.  Typically, in cooling, it is a constant flow.  In HP, it cycles….

Great question….in the “middle south”, a AC/HP unit is common.  In the frozen climes of the upper US and the sweltering climes of the deep south and SW, MAYBE not so.  So, how a HP works and not having one at home does raise this question.

GOOGLE or YOUTUBE it…if you need more technical information.

• Like 1