Footrest motor/worm gear parts

The footrest on our passenger captains chair stopped working. Originally I thought the motor was bad. Took it apart & found that the motor works fine - but - the plastic gear that the worm gear travels through is cracked & bound in the metal housing.

Wondering if anyone’s run across this issue & if the plastic part is available anywhere? Yes, Villa International says they can sell me the whole motor but would prefer not to drop ~$100.

Thank You!

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

FYI - Did the same repair about a year ago and at the time I was told by Villa that the parts for these vintage seats are all old stock and once they are all sold they will not be made again.  The person I talked to had been there a while and seemed very knowledgeable. 

2 hours ago, Newcsn said:

The footrest on our passenger captains chair stopped working. Originally I thought the motor was bad. Took it apart & found that the motor works fine - but - the plastic gear that the worm gear travels through is cracked & bound in the metal housing.

Wondering if anyone’s run across this issue & if the plastic part is available anywhere? Yes, Villa International says they can sell me the whole motor but would prefer not to drop ~$100.

Thank You!

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

You might call Lise Bauer who worked for Flexsteel (if yours are Flexsteel’s) and may know a source.

437CCA43-505C-4E05-9943-D9925116CFB3.jpeg

Do you know of a machine shop that could make one for you using the old one as template? It can be nylon and not steel.

I am not sure if the normal 3D printing material will be strong enough. 

I had a similar issue, but was able to cobble mine back together, however, it was not split like yours. In looking for a solution, I found this (P/N 2224N17) in the McMasters & Carr catalog. You might be able to modify it to fit your use.

Lead Screw.png

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input! Decided to buy a small hose clamp & see if I could tighten it around the cracked plastic gear & reinsert it in the metal bracket. Well, it appears we have a solution - and - for less than $2.00! The footrest raises & lowers with no binding and the end of the hose clamp actually acts as an additional brace against the metal housing.

As they say, “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!”

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

• Like 4