2004 Monaco Cummins ISC 8.3 air governor part number

2004 Monaco Diploma

My 2004 Diplomat with a Cummins ISC 8.3 engine became very difficult to air up. At 750 rpm idle it would stop airing at around 60 psi. In order to finish airing it was necessary to increase rpms to 1600. It would finally reach 130 psi, dump air and drop to 120rpm. While driving it would maintain proper air. 

I found an air leak in the air line from the compressor to the air dryer and also found the air governor on the passenger side of the engine.

Brought my rig into a local semi/diesel repair shop and told them to replace the air line and the governor. The air line was replaced but the mechanic didn't replace my 20 year old governor. He said my governor is about 1 1/2" shorter than the normal governors he always uses. Roughly 3 1/2" compared to his 5" ones. Therefore he is reluctant to replace mine. So I am trying to see if anyone on this forum can help me figure out if the normal governors will be okay to use. My air dryer is a WABCO 1203 Model with a part number 4324130010 on it. I'm not sure if this will help. Also if anyone has a part number for my type of governor or can direct me to where I can find one I would really appreciate it. As a note, when I was under rig and found the governor I could not see any info on it and was physically unable to crawl up closer to the thing.  I'm just a bit too old and big to do these repairs now.

One other thing. The rig does air up at idle now that there's a new air line. The problem is the it cycles too much while driving down the road. The mechanic also mentioned this. He also mentioned that my existing governor has what he called a weep port that allowed a small air leak. He said it was a manufactured port but he had never seen this in a governor.

Hope this makes sense and thank you for any help.

Ricardo - 2004 Monaco Diplomat

jacwjames

Thanks for your input. I checked out the governor on your pdf but still can't determine if it is the right size for my ISC 8.3 cummins. Guess my next step is to contact a Cummins repair shop.

Geez, I thought all air governors were generically called D2 with same form and function across all manufacturers, with exception some are adjustable. Couldn’t see any difference after Google searching the 9754990010 and KN18537 on parts list Jim provided.  They both look like D2’s.  Am I missing something significant?

1 hour ago, Jim Pratten said:

Geez, I thought all air governors were generically called D2 with same form and function across all manufacturers, with exception some are adjustable. Couldn’t see any difference after Google searching the 9754990010 and KN18537 on parts list Jim provided.  They both look like D2’s.  Am I missing something significant?

Ya, when you do general search you gets lots of hits but not much of a description of what might be different.   Some are adjustable, some are remote mount, some are high temp, and I'm sure there may be differences in port size and locations. 

On this link it has several cross referenced governors that are suppose to work.  https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/061-OR284358X.html

So you might take your governor off and take it to a truck shop and get it matched up. 

Thanks @jacwjames, will have to look into a bit more.  I have a D2 spare I carried over from my Volvo that, at a glance, looks the same as the one mounted in my engine compartment.  I didn’t give it a second thought that it might not be compatible. Still suspect it is but my betting confidence is weakening.  

I have an 03 Endeavor with an ISC8.3, Had mine changed a year or two ago same symptoms.  Changed dryer and gov.. All parts were purchased at 

OReileys.  Will search for part numbers but don't think they were anything special.