2009 Dynasty CCM. Won't start. Help and Ideas? Thanks

2009 Dynasty with ISM.

Drove it home from Cummins yesterday (generator/ dash AC repair), started the motorhome 3x between the dealership and my house, it ran great. Went out to move it today, turned key (all sensors/lights come on, the airbags click, all normal), and absolutely nothing happens. It acts totally normal, until the key is turned, and instead of the mighty 500hp beast coming to life, I'm left with silence. The batteries are good, I turned the battery switches off for 5 min trying to reset the system, no change. It's almost like there's a safety switch or something that's keeping it from activating the starter.

Anyone have ideas? I am not a mechanic but I'm thinking I may have to call one to the house.

The battery boost switch works, I've used it in the past. I actually tried it just now and still nothing. The generator fires up immediately. I don't think I have a rear control switch, I've never seen it at least. Where is that switch normally mounted?

If you can get to the starter, hook a wire with an aligator clip to the small terminal on the solenoid (either the big solenoid, or the smaller relay) and a test light, then go up front and try to start it.  First test the setup on the large battery cable to make sure it works.  If you get voltage there or not tells you which direction to go, the starter or the vehicle wiring.  Probably have a start relay somewhere, maybe integrated into a control module, the older Allisons sent the start signal through the allison VIM box.  I can't tell you exactly what you have on the vehicle side of the solenoid, but you can easily test for start signal voltage at the solenoid then the relay on the starter, and go from there.  If the headlights stay on while cranking, then the batteries are fine, or you could check the voltage while trying to crank, but it doesn't sound like batteries. 

44 minutes ago, kpk4987 said:

Found the switch, still nothing. 

Assume you mean, as the member suggested, the remote Start Switch in the rear.  Often times it gets bumped….but usually when there is engine work.  However, cycling the switch, ignition off, of course, will clean the contacts.  IT DOES PREVENT the engine from starting up front.

Next up….the Ignition switches have been an issue….not a biggie, but will DIE.  There is a “connector” that the switch plugs into or mates with.  Make sure it is tight and seated.  We have had folks with 07 and up that had “strange” things happen…turned on switch and the Aladdin was “flaky”.  Finally figured out if he wiggled or jiggled the key, in the ON position, there was an intermittent.

I’d play around a little.  Also fuses in the RRB as well as maybe a BOSCH relay back there.  Other thing….if you are able….crawl under the beast….take a Maglite LED and “LOOK”.  One recent incident…..pulled in for fuel….didn’t hit a lick for a long time.  Mechanic came out…..TOW!  Member persevered and found a loose wire dangling.  He crimped on a new terminal.  BINGO problem solved.  These are incidents within the past few months…..not “well, way back when…..”

There are 14 pages of a key word search…Dynasty Start.  Good reading….you learn to scroll, but the fuses and such are discussed and most were simple….best resource you can have….here is the link.  

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Dynasty start &quick=1&type=forums_topic

Have at it….

EDIT….one OTHER THING…. Your Chassis MAY BE DOWN.  One of our experts and I have discovered….when you heat up an engine…..and then shut down…..if you wait 10 - 15 minutes…..the heat sink effect of no coolant increase the compression.  You turn the key….OMG…it ain’t….then it fires…we KNOW we will put in batteries within a Year.

KNOW you said you use the boost.  BUT if the Big Boy’s contacts are corroded….or if the coil is bad….or a bad #6 BOARD….no Boost.

Turn on key.  Have someone push boost after you are back there.  Have your hand on Big Boy….you should hear it go CLUNK.  No CLUNK…no work.  We have folks here that can fix a defective #6 Big Boy/Boost control board.  You can clean contacts in 30 minutes.

Don’t want to do that now.  Turn off batteries at switch.  Put a Jumper cable bewteen the Positives of the Hiuse and Chassis.  Turn switches back on.  Start generator ….let it run for 10 minutes or so.  NOW TRY to start and leave key in start for maybe 10 seconds….you should have enough juice….no start….not batteries….

• Like 1

yes, start at the ignition switch, if that functions, then go to the starter solenoid and relay like I described above.  Then you've narrowed the problem down to the middle and can dig into the rest of that thread.  Unless you can find a relay roughly in the middle of the circuit, then one test cuts your search in half, and easier than the ignition switch, and cleaner than getting to the starter. 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2009 Dynasty CCM. Won't start. Help and Ideas? Thanks

One more thing.  Since you did not seem to know about the rear start switch... turn the key up front to the run position.  Then go back to the rear and rock it to "rear", then hit start.  Just wanted to make sure you were doing it correctly.  Pardon if you already knew that. 

• Like 2

Have had similar no start issue on my 09 Dyn with ISM 500. Culprit was a 30 amp auto resetting circuit breaker located on a circuit board in RRB near rear start switch. Easy to check. Pull breaker. Turn ignition key to on to allow start from rear switch. Use a large flat blade screwdriver and short across the contacts on the circuit board where you removed the CB. There’s no voltage yet so safe to hold screwdriver across these contacts. While doing this start the engine using rear start switch. Remove screwdriver after engine starts. Or you could just try a new breaker. 

Hope this help's  

Fred W, 09 Dynasty Yorkshire 

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all the replies. 

The starter lug has broken off from corrosion, I had the starter replaced by a mobile truck mechanic, all is good now. 

On 4/13/2024 at 7:39 PM, Fred W said:

Have had similar no start issue on my 09 Dyn with ISM 500. Culprit was a 30 amp auto resetting circuit breaker located on a circuit board in RRB near rear start switch. Easy to check. Pull breaker. Turn ignition key to on to allow start from rear switch. Use a large flat blade screwdriver and short across the contacts on the circuit board where you removed the CB. There’s no voltage yet so safe to hold screwdriver across these contacts. While doing this start the engine using rear start switch. Remove screwdriver after engine starts. Or you could just try a new breaker. 

Hope this help's  

Fred W, 09 Dynasty Yorkshire 

I replaced that breaker with a 30a fuse. 

3 hours ago, kpk4987 said:

I appreciate all the replies. 

The starter lug has broken off from corrosion, I had the starter replaced by a mobile truck mechanic, all is good now. 

I replaced that breaker with a 30a fuse. 

I'd order the proper Breaker from Amazon.  There was a REASON for the Mini Breakers that Monaco used....the ability to easily restore the circuits and see the BLOWN or OPEN TRIPPED breaker.  YES...a Fuse will work...but when you are trying to troubleshoot and then start probing or pulling fuses, most folks WISH that they had the OEM item in place.  YOUR MH...but my advice and also the wisdom of many of the GURU's here...

YES, Ben  @96 EVO

The Dynasty and above all had the "nicety" of the remote start switch.  That was just one of the THINGIES that Monaco left off on the Camelot and Scepter.  I guess that the $100K or more difference in the MSRP had to include some items that were "cheap" but for whatever reason Monaco cut them on ours....but added them to the Dynasty...

LOL....