Penguin 2 Dometic 10 button wall thermostat controller inop but has power

I have a penguin 2 15K unit installed new in 2018, in my 2000 Ralph Lauren edition Dynasty. It has worked flawlessly until I needed the AC today. (May 11). It is configured as a single zone unit ( stand alone from the front AC unit). 
The thermostat only displays a blue background. I have to fiddle with the program button 

to get the AC to come on. 

any other experienced operator  headspace is appreciated!

thx

Tim Vickers 

Viper04

38 minutes ago, Viper04 said:

I have a penguin 2 15K unit installed new in 2018, in my 2000 Ralph Lauren edition Dynasty. It has worked flawlessly until I needed the AC today. (May 11). It is configured as a single zone unit ( stand alone from the front AC unit). 
The thermostat only displays a blue background. I have to fiddle with the program button 

to get the AC to come on. 

any other experienced operator  headspace is appreciated!

thx

Tim Vickers 

Viper04

FIRST and FOREMOST TROUBLE SHOOTING.... DO THE SIMPLE and DON'T panic.  Find the Dual INLINE connectors (in your case only ONE since it ZONE 1) in the plenum.  UNPLUG IT.  Clean the contacts with a Q-tip or spray with ELECTRONIC cleaner (NOT ELECTRICAL Cleaner).  ODDS ARE...the installer got CHEAP.  USED the old connector.  NOT GOOD.  Clean the contacts on the RJ male ends.  BTW...It does NOT MATTER which dangling wire from the Controller was used...either will work....they are NOT polarized...

NOW...then plug and unplug maybe 5 times....seat firmly.  This will burnish or clean the male and female mating metal surfaces.

GOOGLE how to do a CCC2 RESET.  Follow the instructions.  I know and can quote the older 5 BUTTON CCC....but never worked on the CCC2.  NOW, they are exactly the same....they work the same.....just have a different "Contol MPX" signal...)....so take this as 100% correct.

ODDS ARE....It will work.  My track record includes at least 50 maybe 75 members where I posted this advice...  There was a BREAK (corrosion or dirt) in the circuit.  When that HAPPENS....the THERMOSTAT was "messed" up and you have to FIX the poor connection and THEN reboot or reset the circuit.  Then the Thermostat could read the circuit between the Controller and the Thermostat...  Folks that HAD two ZONES (1 & 2) is the same.  The Thermostat HAS to read and "REGISTER" all the downstream controllers.

NOW...  There MAY be other issues.  What you do...  You remove the WALL thermostat.  Carry it up to the Plenum and PLUG it in directly.  RESET or REBOOT IT....and the LETTERS or whatever displayed per the manual....must come up.  THEN, if the Unit doesn't work.... Have to TEST the THERMOSTAT....easiest and next LOGIC step.

DO THIS.  Take the Thermostat to the REAR.  unplug the line from the REAR thermostat or remove it and plug in your front ONE.  Do the RESET.  The Thermostat don't know rear from or  front or from a Bass Drum.  It is NOT programmed....so you could switch them...and REBOOT or RESET and they work fine.

THAT TELLS YOU....Thermostat is GOOD or BAD.  If the Thermostat works in the REAR....you have a CONTROLLER ISSUE up Front.  THEN....you pull off the top covers of the AC's.  You take a PICTURE of the AC Board (that is what Dometic calls them) ITS IN THE MANUAL.  There are DIP Switches on each ONE.  Take a picture of each one.  Pull the REAR ONE...change, if different..., the DIPS so IT matches the FRONT.  I'll BET, after helping so many, that the FRONT ONE ONLY has the FURNACE DIP on.  SO, you MUST have the REAR ONE SET exactly like the front.  IT that fixes it....FINE.  YOU have a BAD controller.

This is 99% of the problem....90% in the connections....clean...and FINE.  Then the Controller might be 8%...and the thermostat....the rest..  ASSUMING that the Data Cable from the Thermostat to the Front Plenum is INTACT.  Sometimes the Contacts JUST FAIL.  You replace them.  YOU HAVE TO write down the color codes or read the INSTALL manual.  this ain't no PHONE LINE.  OK....reterminating fails....then ...  YOU ARE IN THE VERY FEW...that Monaco decided you were JINXED.  Monaco was NOT perfect.  When the Installers used the staple gun to secure the Data Cable along the way....every ONCE and AWHILE....they drove a staple THROUGH the cable.  FINE....lasts for YEARS....then at some time....years and years later....the cable finally vibrates a bit....ONE of them tiny wires was nicked and only hanging on or working by a few tiny strands....BINGO...there ain't NO FIX....other than to RUN (through the Duct work and being great at getting a wire snake to make the entire run).  FOLKS HAVE DONE IT.  Folks have RUN a data cable from the ROOF, in wire mold, from the front unit to where the "wall is" where the Thermostat is located.  They were able to drill a hole and shake a new wire UP to the roof....

That COVERS IT....in way too much detail.  BUT, at least NOW you know to troubleshoot and HOW it works and what to do.

BTW....YES, I have had to clean mine a few times.  YES...I DO carry spare connectors (Amazon sells them)...and the NEXT TIME it "happens", I will put in TWO new Connectors...

GOOD LUCK...Post what fixes it...

Tom

thanks for the trouble shooting 

diagnostics. Only issue is that the front penguin is a 13K and 

a 4 button thermostat. 

Any other suggestions since I can't switch thermostats. 

thank you,

Tim

Viper04

dedicated forum member.