Entry door hinge replacement. 2000 HR Ambassador

Posted (edited)

Not a swing arm question but has anyone had issues develop with the entry door hinges becoming bent overtime from the scissor arm loosening? I have a top door hinge that has a pretty noticeable bend on the top leaf and now the door doesn't hang properly and has about 1/4" of overlap on the top where the door hit the jam. I don't think there are hinges available for these coaches anymore but I've seen these from Lippert:

https://www.lippert.com/friction-hinge-kit-for-lippert-entry-doors-friction-hinge-kit

20240516_102842.jpeg

Edited by fendergeek
Photo

NOTE....this was originally posted as a followup to the Gas Strut/Scissors Topic.  Should have been a new topic. Thanks to member reporting this.

Per the guidelines, a search is required.  DOOR and HINGE were used and Topics was chosen from Everywhere Drop down.

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=hinge door&quick=1&type=forums_topic

There are 5 Pages.  However, if you scroll quickly, then when you get to page 2, this one is close...

If you continue to scroll and click on the post that seems to be related, you might find the information for your MH.  Yes, due to the age... maybe not...but some have also made repairs.

Good Luck...

• Thanks 1

I had a similar issue, my top hinge was bent and the scissor arm was missing when I became the "New Owner", I added a gas strut in place of the scissor arm. The result of the damaged hinge was wind noise when traveling. I tried to fix it with weather stripping but never quite got it quiet. I could see the hinge was bent. I did some research and landed on Hingecraft as the OEM on the hinge. I contacted them and was told that they no longer manufacture the hinge required. The cost to manufacture just one hinge would be cost prohibitive. I finally found one in a salvage yard, it was very pricey, $200.00. It fixed my issue and I took the bent one apart, straightened it and replaced the pin, now I have a spare. My point is, with a little bit of time and an arbor press and welder, your hinge can be brought back to life in many cases. Check with the salvage yards for a replacement, they are still out there.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2024 at 5:39 AM, RC2018 said:
I had a similar issue, my top hinge was bent and the scissor arm was missing when I became the "New Owner", I added a gas strut in place of the scissor arm. The result of the damaged hinge was wind noise when traveling. I tried to fix it with weather stripping but never quite got it quiet. I could see the hinge was bent. I did some research and landed on Hingecraft as the OEM on the hinge. I contacted them and was told that they no longer manufacture the hinge required. The cost to manufacture just one hinge would be cost prohibitive. I finally found one in a salvage yard, it was very pricey, $200.00. It fixed my issue and I took the bent one apart, straightened it and replaced the pin, now I have a spare. My point is, with a little bit of time and an arbor press and welder, your hinge can be brought back to life in many cases. Check with the salvage yards for a replacement, they are still out there.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to be most econical to add a gas strut and attempt to repair the hinge. Have a welder, maybe a economicalt would be able to straighten it with an arbor press. Thanks all.

I have a background in the metal fabrication industry and had the tools available to me to use, it was a little time consuming but not very difficult to get it back straight. I just took my time and slowly pressed it back to straight. When I look at the pic you posted, my hinge was bent very much the same as yours. I would suggest you replace the pin, and not try to straighten the bent one. If memory serves it is 1/4" diameter stainless steel.

• Like 1