Adapter for converting my 30amp RV Outlet

Last month I purchase a new Electric Vehicle.  The charge station that came with it requires a  Nema 14-50 Outlet to plug into.   I have a 30amp RV outlet (Nema TT-30R) at our cottage that I use for our RV.  I would like an adapter dog bone that will convert that outlet to a Nema 14-50 outlet pug for my charge station when I only drive the EV.  I was told I can not use the standard standard RV 30 to 50  dog bone adapter for an RV but that I should use a Nema TT-30P adapter for an EV because it is wired differently.  Can someone with knowledge comment on the differences .  I don't want to burn up anything.

Gary

A 30A RV plug has 120V available, you can't get 50A 240V from a 30A 120V plug, wire and breaker.  I don't think you'll blow anything with an RV adapter, I don't think it will recognize being plugged in either.  I'd never heard of an EV adapter, but I see it has to supply two prongs neutral and one hot along with one ground, so there is voltage across the two hot prongs instead of having the same voltage (so no voltage across).  I'm guessing they're both relatively safe and maybe even approved, because they will both not work in the wrong application, but not cause damage. 

Unless you have three conductors and ground, then you could rewire at the breaker box to the max capacity of the wire, add the 240 outlet, and set the car to only use 30A so double what's available at 120v.

Hopefully not many people use that adapter, but here it is if you run into an adapter that makes half your 50A coach not work:

Edited by Benjamin

20 hours ago, burghere66 said:

Last month I purchase a new Electric Vehicle.  The charge station that came with it requires a  Nema 14-50 Outlet to plug into.   I have a 30amp RV outlet (Nema TT-30R) at our cottage that I use for our RV.  I would like an adapter dog bone that will convert that outlet to a Nema 14-50 outlet pug for my charge station when I only drive the EV.  I was told I can not use the standard standard RV 30 to 50  dog bone adapter for an RV but that I should use a Nema TT-30P adapter for an EV because it is wired differently.  Can someone with knowledge comment on the differences .  I don't want to burn up anything.

Gary

IT AINT GONNA WORK.

A NEMA 14-50 is, in effect, a 220 VOLT device.  It is designed for 220 VAC.  BUT we ain’t got no 220 VAC stuff on our MH.  Right.  There are FOUR WIRES on the 14-50 amp receptacle.  At any campground or at home, properly wired here is the explanation.

ROUND that is GROUND…..enough said.

The TWO terminals or slots that are parallel to each other are LINE1 or one side of a 220 VAC circuit.  The other side (it doesn’t matter which) is LINE 2.  If you use a Voltmeter….and probe Line 1 and Line 2…..BINGO…it reads 220 Volts.  It also requires a 50 Amp, 220 VAC Circuit Breaker in the panel. These are called the HOT side of the circuit.

OK???? So, whats the other rectangular slot or hole for.  That is the COMMON OR NEUTRAL.  If you use a Voltmeter and put one lead into that terminal at the bottom…or isolated….and then either of the TWO SIDE BY SIDE….you get 110 Volts.

SO….the MH only uses 110 VAC circuits.  We have TWO separate circuits Line 1 and Line 2…..but the other wire for each is the Neutral.  We have NO DEVICES that use just the two side by side.

Thus, we have a total (50 + 50) of 100 AMPS of power….50 Amps on each side.

Your 30 amp circuit only has a HOT and a Neutral and a Ground.  It works off a single 30 Amp 110 VAC BREAKER.  THE EV Charger needs 220 VAC with a rated capacity of 50 Amps or 50 amps on HOT Line 1 and 50 amps on HOT Line 2.

if some ingenious individual made an adapter….then the charger would only be getting 110 VAC….on both legs.  It would not work….and/or it might short out…or be fried.  Never, ever feed 110 to a device that needs 220 VAC….motors ill burn up….all sorts of ugliness.

You can use the charger at a Campground….but unless you rent two sites….you will have to choose WHICH one to power…not both.

You will need a qualified electrician to look at the service for your cottage….to see if there is space and capacity to remove the 30 amp and put in a 14-50.  OR he could, if there is space and capacity, add the 14-50 and you could use both, simultaneously.

BUT….FWIW.  You can NEVER use the 220 V EV Charger on the Motor Home,  You only have a 110 VAC Generator…..

Thats the basics…..