Girard Window Awnings Extend While On Highway

On my 2005 Monaco Signature Conquest I can be on the highway and the window awnings on the driver's side will extend by themselves. When that happens, I frantically pull off to the shoulder and use the awning remotes to get them retracted again. As little as two minutes later, one or both of the awnings will extend again while in motion. I speculated that one of the two battery powered remotes was faulty so removed the batteries from both and the awnings are still extending on their own. I've also had the large patio awning extend on its own and fortunately it did that while parked with the ignition off.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what could be causing this? As a temporary fix at least, where can I disconnect the awning motors from power so it can't ever deploy? Supposedly the awnings are powered by plugging into a standard 120 VAC outlet but I've checked all the bays, above the passenger's seat, and all other accessible areas and just not finding it. Removing fuses has not worked.

I have had similar issues with mine. Only a couple of times with the driver's side window warnings.Never the big patio. Sometimes they will also go out when I first plug into shore power. It's only happened a few times and I have not been able to figure out the cause. Hopping someone else has?

RickG: "It's only happened a few times and I have not been able to figure out the cause."

Texas.  
Avoid along with New Mexico.  image.png.79a2843b52f34d7f0d13bdbed2b1ac79.png

Edited by StellaTariche

Long time Girard owner here...since like 1999.  I used to help Major Poe and Bob at shows even. These awnings may deploy when picking up a random radio frequency that Girard uses.  This has been going on randomly since forever and the only sure solution is to have a positive power disconnect.  Of course that's from the field guys, the lawyers want the power on so that you can not defeat the auto retract and have your awning blow over the top of the coach in a wind gust.  I have seen several of these in my years and read on the forums more of them.  I only have the big awning and wired a 120v switch off before the the Girard box. 

The more electronic gizmos we have in our lives from wifi connective stuff...auto push button everything I'm surprised we don't have more reports o fthis happening.  It is random, and it does happen, probably about like winning the lottery but in reverse.  Figure out how to get a switch in or play the odds.  The nice part is when the wind blows across the top of the rig and you can have it out safely you can turn off the power so it doesn't retract of course you are on your own then and the lawyers will decline any responsibility  it was your power defeat.   😎