Samsung Refrigerator RF197ACRS - Display Problem

I need a little help here guys & gals....

My fridge display only shows two parts of the first digit of the temperature, nothing else lights up!
- I had the fridge shut off (by breaker supply) for two months while stored in the backyard
- during that time I “cut” the cable to the ice maker, it was never used and was damaged causing it to hang down into the freezer tray.
- I needed the extra fridge storage so I turned it back on then opened the door to verify. The lights are all on and the compressor was running, the temperature was falling. Everything was acting normal but without any control display.
- Trying to activate anything using the display buttons did not “appear” to have any effect.
- I turned it off as I thought it might not regulate and just freeze up the back wall (has happened years ago but not The display’s fault).
- I have now physically unplugged the remaining ice maker wiring. There was no change to display after a power reboot.

Sooooo, any suggestions? Does anyone possibly have an electrical wiring diagram for this fridge? I have a parts exploded view diagram with part numbers. I am hoping I can access the controls from the top, not much clearance up there.

oh boy....

JimB2

You cannot disable the ice maker other than to turn it OFF. You have messed with the ECM of the fridge. I would strongly suggest to put eveything back to OEM specs and you will find that it will work as it did before you messed with it.

I have attached the Samsung RF-197 - RF-217 Service Manual which has troubleshooting steps and wiring diagrams.

Moderator, please upload to the manuals section of this site.

Samsung - RF195 - RF217 Service Manual.pdf

Yes, I had considered that but unfortunately the original part which I cut off to be able to open/close the freezer has been tossed out (over a month ago). I will look for a replacement wire harness as my first attempt to get things running again. Thanks for your response.

JimB2

Yes, the first error code is the one showing. The error codes I found were all numbers and letters, thanks for pointing these ones out. I still have the plugin harness, if I had an electrical drawing for the ice makers I could possibly figure out how to “McGyver” the system so it thinks all is well.  Thanks for the info. 

Sometimes we are our own worse enemy.  I do not understand why you would cut the wiring harness when you can unplug it.  Do you have the manual that came with the frig?  If so, there should be information in it to go to a web site to download the information you need.  Why would you leave the frig out in the backyard exposed to the elements?  

The fridge should have a ECM control module to run it.  Cutting wiring harnesses remove information that the ECM needs to operate properly.  If the icemaker is the same type that is in a Norcold 1200 series frig, there are web sites that have the manual for the ice maker.  Google should point you to those sites.  

Yep we are Chuck. Part of the ice machine was damaged and was hanging down preventing full opening of the freezer door. Now I could have removed the door I’m sure but the ice machine was useless in there (no water run to fridge) so being “efficient”  lol, I just reached in and cut the cable, ice machine fell, door opened, problem solved, NOT. Had I restarted the fridge at this point I could have repaired the cut cable but, noooo, I had to toss it in the garbage, yep, worst enemy.

I do keep my fridge in the backyard, don’t use it much in the summer (snowbird) but I keep it coverEd with my RV to keep the rain off it lol. 

I bit the bullet and ordered a new ice maker module, I’ll attach it to the freezer ceiling without the rest of the assembly and move on; another $175 lesson haha.

JimB2