Carefree Door Awning Not Opening

ColoJim

When I try to extend my door awning it starts and stops about 3 seconds later. I think it is hanging up or it thinks that it is fully extended. I tried shaking the arms when it starts to extend and they seem free. When it stops ( about 3” to 4” out) I cannot turn the reel. It seems like the motor is holding up the reel. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, ColoJim said:

When I try to extend my door awning it starts and stops about 3 seconds later. I think it is hanging up or it thinks that it is fully extended. I tried shaking the arms when it starts to extend and they seem free. When it stops ( about 3” to 4” out) I cannot turn the reel. It seems like the motor is holding up the reel. Any ideas?

Read this: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/entry-door-awning-parts-218274.html

Joe:

The majority of electric awnings, whether they are patio, window or door awnings have limit switches. These limit switches allow the travel of the awning to be adjusted to stop at given points. Before ordering a new motor I would first check to be sure your limit switches are not out of whack. Your manual should have a page in it showing how to adjust the switch.

A couple years ago I had an attendee at a rally come get me and asked if I would trouble shoot his door awning. It wouldn't extend all the way and wouldn't close all the way. I thought for sure it was the limit switches but before I screwed with those I lubed the pivot points on the arms real well and it worked perfectly after that. Always start troubleshooting with the easiest/dumbest thing first and then work backwards from there.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks for your input. I agree it maybe the limit switch may have came loose or went bad. Do you have any idea where I can get a Carefree manual for a 2004 Windsor?  I bought the motorhome a few months ago and it has a lot of documentation, but nothing on the Carefree awnings. 

Jim, I am not certain but believe it may be a Mirage. If you go to the Carefree website you should be able to find the manual. I do know they had a lot of problems with that assembly in 04/05. The motors were not sealed and would get wet and burn out. My buddy went through 2 of them before a tech finally sealed the new motor. He never had another problem after that. Carefree later corrected the problem by sealing all new motors.

• 11 months later...

I have the problem that my Carefree door awning doesn't do anything.  I thought it was supposed to automatically extend when the patio awning went out.  I understand the patio awning is 110VAC and the door awning is 12VDC but I haven't found a fuse labeled door awning.  I have found the patio awning in the 110VAC fuse panel but I haven't found any 12 VDC labeled for awning.

I have found nothing in the manual that tells me there is a difference in power for the two awnings nor how to operate the door awning.

Earlier it was said the door awning fuse is behind the panel above the passenger seat.  How do I get to it to check it?