GE air conditioners

Guest Ray Davis

Guest Ray Davis

I'm sure it can be made to fit ok.   With that said no doubt you would need at least a new GE thermostat 

Replacing with Dometics involves deciding which way to go, replacing 1 or all 3.

Easiest is replace all 3 along with a new thermostat and it should be pretty much just plug and play .  Replace just the one and you may need to do some adapting .

My Windsor only has 2 A/Cs, I replaced both along with a new and much better thermostat.

Some say Dometic has new units that will communicate with the old systems personally I don't know.   Maybe others will chime in.

Edited by Ray Davis

Thanks for sharing.  That's a great price for a 15k heap pump unit. 

All RV air conditioners use the same 14 x 14" opening that a roof vent uses.  The price on the thermostat looks good also.  As long as it uses the same RJ11 phone cord. 

A potential issue is the thermostat can only handle 1 zone.   

Guest Ray Davis

I wouldn't just buy one with out some due diligence.  Like Vito said the thermostat that they show operates only one unit .   That wouldn't work very well for most of us .

The drains could probably be made to work just like on our Dometics, might take a little back yard engineering though.

GE said 115v at 20amps, are our Dometics 20 amps or 15 amps I can't remember for sure?

The bad unit is the front which is on a thermostat by itself.  The center and bedroom are together on one thermostat.  I agree 100% about replacing all three, however, I've just had to buy all new tires, done a brake job including rotors, and am currently replacing all my airbags due to one of them blowing on me 100 miles from home.  At $15K and counting already this year in repairs it's going to be difficult for awhile to scrape together the money to replace one, never mind three AC units.  I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best on the other two.  By hook or by crook that bus is taking me to Colorado next month to see my daughter!  Thanx, everyone!

Guest Ray Davis

17 minutes ago, Converterjoe said:

The bad unit is the front which is on a thermostat by itself.  The center and bedroom are together on one thermostat.  I agree 100% about replacing all three, however, I've just had to buy all new tires, done a brake job including rotors, and am currently replacing all my airbags due to one of them blowing on me 100 miles from home.  At $15K and counting already this year in repairs it's going to be difficult for awhile to scrape together the money to replace one, never mind three AC units.  I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best on the other two.  By hook or by crook that bus is taking me to Colorado next month to see my daughter!  Thanx, everyone!

Family ties are right up there at the top or they should be IMHO .

Yes sir, I believe you have done your fair share of maintaince this year,  you should be ready to roll though.   Trouble free rolling is up near the top too.

Why worry about the unit up front just now ?  I can't imagine you'll be needing air cond this time of the yr , especially in Colo .

Ray - my AquaHot is also down and since I'm going to Colorado where there's a better than even chance we'll be experiencing some frigid weather I'd like to have as many heat sources as possible lol.  On the other hand, I've got several electric portable heaters so I guess that's an option that won't cost me anything. 

Guest Ray Davis

Joe ,  The company AquaHot is there in Colorado you could call and see what they charge to look at it .   They may not charge much to take a look and diagnosis why it's not working .    You may want to learn how to maintain it yourself, many or most of us on here do our own maintaince including our AquaHot .  It is so nice to have that Aqua Hot on a cold morning and when you want to take a hot shower.

http://www.aquahot.com/

7501 Miller Dr., Frederick, CO 80504 | 
Phone: 800-685-4298                                                   

Edited by Ray Davis

6 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Joe ,  The company AquaHot is there in Colorado you could call and see what they charge to look at it .   They may not charge much to take a look and diagnosis why it's not working .    You may want to learn how to maintain it yourself, many or most of us on here do our own maintaince including our AquaHot .  It is so nice to have that Aqua Hot on a cold morning and when you want to take a hot shower.

http://www.aquahot.com/

7501 Miller Dr., Frederick, CO 80504 | 
Phone: 800-685-4298                                                   

Thanks, Ray - I’ll check with the folks in Colorado.  My AH system is inboard dead center.  These days I can’t lay in the cramped basement long enough to service it myself.  Too bad it can’t be on a generator slide, eh?