Replacing one AC unit wit heat pump in a 2004 Monaco Diplomat

Howard

I was looking in to replacing my rear AC/heat pump unit with a Recpro 15k Btu AC with heat pump. This unit has a built in thermostat with it's own remote, so I won't tie in to my existing Wall thermostat. My question is, will I still be able to use my wall thermostat to control the front AC and my furnace, if only one unit is connected to the wiring?

Depending on how your system is wired you should be able to do this.  Sometimes they are daisy chained.  Lower your rear A/C filter inside and disconnect the RJ11 telephone cord to the rear A/C and then see if you can still control your front unit.  

Now, I need to ask why?  Is it because RecPro says they are quieter?  Down the road when you want to sell this coach some folks may balk at a system like this.  

And, the front unit does the bulk of the cooling work.  I would install a 15K Dometic Heat Pump on the front and the rear would not have to work as much. There are also quiet kits you can get for the rear unit.  

Cost/time wise mostly. I plan on keeping the unit and am not too concerned about someone down the line not liking the system. I need to use the unit for an extended period of time in the near future at the So Cal Beach area. The AC went out on us last August while we were there, the front (15K Dometic) AC really got overworked, especially because of the humidity. I found that if I replaced it with a newer duo therm, I would also have to buy some type of electrical adapter (about $300) so that it would be compatible with my existing wall thermostat. One technician told me that I would have to replace both units because the adapter works both stations. That would put be at well over three times the cost of the one RecPro. 

I had to drop quite a bit of money in it recently, because of slide out leaks, we just purchased it last August, and are the third owner. I figured that if we aren't happy with the RecPro.  I will upgrade to two new penguins next fall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 1:10 AM, Howard said:

I was looking in to replacing my rear AC/heat pump unit with a Recpro 15k Btu AC with heat pump. This unit has a built in thermostat with it's own remote, so I won't tie in to my existing Wall thermostat. My question is, will I still be able to use my wall thermostat to control the front AC and my furnace, if only one unit is connected to the wiring?

The wife did not like the heat pumps.  Since heat rises, the floor was always cold on her feet.  Chuck B