Coax wiring issue

Bwolff52

I have a Dish Playmaker which is a portable satellite antenna that automatically searches and locks onto satellite. It connects to a Wally Dish receiver.

To function the Wally sends 12volt power to the Playmaker over the coax connection. 

I have tested both the SAT and CABLE connection in the rear compartment where the coach power cable is. Neither one shows any power when connected to Wally. Verified Wally is outputting 12v.

Wiring diagrams show straight runs with no splitters. Cable is RG6 so it should be able to support the 12v from the Wally.

I also directly connected Wally to Playmaker with a separate cable and it worked fine.

Don't want to run new cable if I don't have to.

Any suggestions?

I'd suggest starting with a toner to check the connections first.  It is possible that the cable on the coach is just not up to specs and not going to work.  Can you find the same type of cable and try it to see if it will work? I have Dish and a Tailgater.  I was able to use the coax the PO used for his satellite which is drilled through the roof at the front of the coach.  The satellite hookup in the rear bay has never worked for me. 

The connector shell and the surrounding mesh of the cable is the ground (-12v), the center insulated wire is +12v.  One of the connectors has the center wire touching the shell, or one of the strands of the mesh is touching the the center wire.  A voltage ohm meter (VOM) can be used to test the cable.  You may have a break hidden in the cable, again testing will help detect this.   

I just purchased a tailgater. In my wet-bay there are two coax cables connections.one Labeled cable one satellite. In my entertainment center where I keep the Wally there were two coax cable’s not labeled I put aluminum foil in the end and tested for continuity on the other end I got lucky the first one worked I hooked it up and everything worked fine

In the entertainment center above driver there is a satellite receiver cover plate with two cables and one connector. The cables are labeled EXT Input and Roof Input. The connector is labeled To Video Switch. What is this connector for?

Also when I took the cover plate off there is another coax back there not connected to anything.

I am so confused.

So both the SAT and Cable coax from rear of coach to front entertainment center failed continuity test.

I figured out the To Video Switch connector. It is what it states. So originally you would connect either EXT or ROOF to the video switch.

The coax going to the outside TV connection in one of the basement bays tested good. So, since I don't have an outside TV I am using that coax to connect Wally to Playmaker.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

• Like 1