Roof separation

2001 Monaco Diplomat. Rivets are failing where the roof meets the sidewall. Looking for suggestions on how to fix the problems.  I don't know the length of the rivets that were used. Tried 1 1/2 in long self-tapping screws which don't seem to tap into the frame. Called Monaco, no help there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

20210501_150533.jpg

20210501_150655.jpg

Talk to Talin RV Chris Throgmartin.

352-942-2653

33 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Will give them a call.  Thank you.

I forgot to mention that we are in the  Phoenix Arizona area.

Im in Oregon and he walked me thru what I needed to do on mine.

I had to remove the clip in moulding to expose the track. Then he recommended stainless steel screws to reattach track by putting in new screws about an inch or two from the existing rivets. There is metal square tubing along the beltline.

If yours has the aluminum roof, you should use aluminum rivets to reattach it. Steel screws or steel rivets can cause a chemical reaction with aluminum and cause the aluminum to corrode, and erode away. You might use a little larger rivet in the same home, or drill new holes close to the old ones.

• Like 1

Howard is correct. But I would still talk to Talin RV.

• Like 1

Howard

Thanks for mentioning that, yes I have read that but I did not put 2 + 2 together. I was thinking stainless steel screws. Would that have the same affect as just plain steel screws?  Will be calling Talin on Monday to see what I can learn. 

Yes I have an aluminum roof. 

Thanks for the input.  

Edited by Bob Schmeckpeper