Ceiling TV lift, manual operation

TV is stuck up.  Push the down button and I hear a hum from toward the middle of the lift but nothing at the motor.  I would guess that's the up/down relay.  Push the up button and get a click.  Probably it realizes it is at the limit up.  I can see the crank on the left by the motor.  I can turn it freely clockwise or counterclockwise but the mechanism doesn't attempt to lower. How do you engage it so I can lower the TV to get access to the parts that are apparently not working?  I tried pulling and pushing even while turning, but nothing seems to engage.

It's an 07 Beaver but I believe the same mechanism was in several other coaches.

PXL_20210512_220153534.thumb.jpg.5aff1bebc698a2a716f4efff22cc7708.jpg

PXL_20210512_220107136.jpg

PXL_20210512_215940012.jpg

Never mind.  Saying a few choice words and application of enough inward force and then a big CLICK, I got the manual crank to engage and could crank it down.  Now to figure out why the motor isn't powering....  Still just clicks in either direction...

26 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

Never mind.  Saying a few choice words and application of enough inward force and then a big CLICK, I got the manual crank to engage and could crank it down.  Now to figure out why the motor isn't powering....  Still just clicks in either direction...

I have had to unplug the lift controller 120 VAC plug which cured it.  It happened enough times for me to move the controller to a more convenient place than above the windshield and behind the stuck TV.

I've unplugged shore power, turned off the inverter, flipped both house and chassis battery cutoffs...waited a couple of minutes and then powered things back up.  Still just hear the clicking sound of a relay.  Time to dig deeper.

Edited by amphi_sc

That PDF is going to be of great help.  Thanks!!!  I'm presently about ready to participate in a club rally that is starting in a couple hours, so probably won't get back to trouble shooting deeper until the middle of next week.  Then I'll update again.

Many thanks to this great group.

Edited by amphi_sc

Got it working again.  The motor electrical disconnect when the manual crank is engaged threw me off for a while.  And the manual crank was hard to engage.  That leads me to think the gears/motor bound up originally.  That might explain the initial hum I heard from the center of the drop down.  After I cranked it down the hum disappeared.

Anyway had good 12V reference voltage, good ground, up/down switches sent good 12v signal to the box, box had good 120v and TV powered on from the control box, unplugging the motor I had good 120V on the Up/down circuit board connector.  Had open circuit on wires to the motor that had me chasing the limit switches for a while, but that turned out to be you must disengage manual crank to close motor circuit (a safety issue I presume).  Ran it through about 5 cycles successfully, so now to put the trim back around....

By the way, liftmytv.com does have some parts available and GTR seems to continue technical support.  They indicated the control box would be back in stock soon and the motor was in stock. But I didn't need any parts this time around.  Lucky me 🥳

Good job on your part, although you never found the problem? 

I have a few of the steel gears that came out of a motor as well as a complete Liftmytv setup, motor, controller & TV mount  out of a 2008 Patriot Thunder. 

The motor has some plastic gears and some steel gears.  The plastic were OK but the steel gears bound up & broke some teeth.  I removed the good gears for spares in case it ever happened again.  Liftmytv said someone was probably hanging in it to steal the TV causing the bind.

34 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

Good job on your part, although you never found the problem?

I have my suspicion on a bind up, but didn't disassemble it all the way to get into the motor to look deeper for a fragment of something in the gears.  It's working smoothly at the moment so will probably leave well enough alone for a while.  If at some future time I get to the point of swapping in a smart TV for the Toshiba dumb TV, I'll examine the motor guts or just swap in a new motor tube "just because".