Electrical Issue - Power loss to GFCI

MrandMrsQ

2002 Monaco Diplomat

Please bare with me as I don't have any electrical knowledge, but my husband is somewhat electrically versed...so he says 😉

Yesterday we traveled from one park to another. Upon arrival, after hooking up to 50 amp power (we use a Hughes Autoformer, and all was well at the pedestal),  I went to extend the rear slide and there was horrible electrical smell in the bedroom.

We checked everything we could around the coach and couldn't determine the source. The smell dissipated in the bedroom but seemed to move up through to the front of the coach before dissipating completely.

We looked around for about an hour,  still couldn't  find anything, and we went out to get some dinner. All electrical plugs were working when we left. When we came back, we had no electrical power to most of the plugs in the coach. The breaker on the inverter (Xantrex 458) had tripped when we arrived at the park, but had not tripped while we were out for dinner. The refrigerator had switched over to propane because of a blown 5 amp fuse (replaced today and still running). We also lost a stand-alone digital clock and a miscellaneous surge protector power strip.

My husband replaced the GFCI plug in the bedroom, but he found that it has no power going to it. The lights on the inverter read as normal per specs. Both air conditioners, washer/dryer, and water heater are still working. Prior to leaving the old park for the new, we had run the generator to exercise it and it behaved as though it had a power surge for a moment (we were still plugged in to 50 amp at the time and the inverter breaker tripped). I'm quite worried and we couldn't get any repair people to come out today. Any ideas?

I hope I posted this in the correct way! Thanks in advance.

Rana

Additional info: PTS is LYGHT

Edited by MrandMrsQ
Add information

24 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

There are lots of possibilities but first (and easiest) is to check the output ditching breakers on the inverter.  I know you said you reset the inverter, but I think that was the input circuit breaker. 

I just read your response to my husband, and he has no idea what the output ditching breakers are? Attached is a photo of the inverter.

Also, even though the lights on the inverter show no errors, it is making a constant clicking sound. I know that is not normal.

Thank you.

20210526_203029.jpg

If Bill D were alive today, he would recommend you donate your Hughes Autoformer to the local yacht club to be used as a boat anchor.  

Since you own a 2002 Dip, more than likely you have a Todd/Toddco power transfer switch/PTS.  Monaco issued a recall on the Todd PTS.  Since Monaco is no longer in business, the cost of the recall is on you.  The Todd PTS switches the neutral wire instead of the two 120 vac power wires.  Monaco recommended unplugging the coach from shore power until you replace the Todd PTS to keep the coach from catching fire.  

To protect your coach from any shore power problems, many on this group recommend installing a Progressive Industries EMSHW50C unit on the incoming power cord.

www.progressiveindustries.net  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Guest Ray Davis

I agree with Chuck, the power transfer switch should be checked.   It may also be known as an IOTA brand of power switch.   Your husband can remove the cover and see if things look burned at the connections etc.

Transfer switches can go bad no matter what brand they are,  and the screws where the wires connect can work loose and generate a lot of heat, even a fire.

If he decides to work on it I recommend that all power be removed including removing the negative battery cables so the inverter can't have power.   

Safety First,  lots of power in there.

42 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

If Bill D were alive today, he would recommend you donate your Hughes Autoformer to the local yacht club to be used as a boat anchor.  

Since you own a 2002 Dip, more than likely you have a Todd/Toddco power transfer switch/PTS.  Monaco issued a recall on the Todd PTS.  Since Monaco is no longer in business, the cost of the recall is on you.  The Todd PTS switches the neutral wire instead of the two 120 vac power wires.  Monaco recommended unplugging the coach from shore power until you replace the Todd PTS to keep the coach from catching fire.  

To protect your coach from any shore power problems, many on this group recommend installing a Progressive Industries EMSHW50C unit on the incoming power cord.

Just did this, great suggestion, and a potential lifesaver. No more GFIC problems. Here’s pic of testing before I buttoned it all down for good. Working great, from the help found here. 

01E2D6FA-0B65-4311-9438-0BD8D9D11B64.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck B said:

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

I agree with Chuck, the power transfer switch should be checked.   It may also be known as an IOTA brand of power switch.   Your husband can remove the cover and see if things look burned at the connections etc.

Transfer switches can go bad no matter what brand they are,  and the screws where the wires connect can work loose and generate a lot of heat, even a fire.

If he decides to work on it I recommend that all power be removed including removing the negative battery cables so the inverter can't have power.   

Safety First,  lots of power in there.

Our PTS is a Lyght. After reading through this forum yesterday, I made sure it was not an IOTA. The previous owners of our coach probably had it replaced during the recall. My husband pulled the cover to the Lyght when we arrived here on Tuesday, and everything looks pristine.

We have a service call scheduled for this afternoon. Hopefully we can gain more insight into the issue.

Edited by MrandMrsQ

2 hours ago, Chuck B said:

Hi Chuck, I'm curious about Bill's recommendation. We have both the Hughes Autoformer and the Progressive portable EMS. I installed the Hughes first, after a brown-out in an RV park cost us a TV. But I think the capabilities of the EMS are more important.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, Chuck B said:

I suspect Bill D was referring to the original Hughes Autoformer's  Voltage Booster, since their weren't even designed back then.  In case you are not aware, Hughes Autoformer has a line of Surge Protectors also. They do sense Neutral Open, along with High or Low voltage and most of the things that the Progressive Industries has.  I don't own a Huges, or have any interest in the company.  I am finding a lot of people are asking about them, since they are more affordable than the Progressive units.  So, unless you can provide objective criteria (I'd be quite interested) in why they should be unilaterally relegated to the Anchor Locker, I suggest you do some research first.