Stubborn Puck Lights

Hi friends! So, just in case anyone else has struggled removing the glass lens on some of their puck lights, here’s an easy solution that worked for me.

When replacing our incandescent bulbs with LEDs, I ran across two or three lenses that I could not work free even after lowering the whole assembly from the ceiling so I could get a good grasp on it.

After you lower the fixture from the ceiling you will see two thin strips of metal on opposite sides of the housing. Those act as springs that hold two small plastic pieces that ride in the channel of the glass lens, so that you can unscrew it. They are supposed to spring out when twisting the glass lens so it can be removed. Sometimes they don’t and get caught on an edge in that channel in the lens making it near impossible to get the lens off without breaking it.

So, to release the tension on those plastic pieces, wedge something non-conductive (to be super safe), like a toothpick or piece of plastic or even a piece of napkin like I did. Once both sides are wedged out a little, the lens will come off super easy.

I’m sharing this because I’ve said enough bad words trying to twist off stubborn lenses and I’m hoping to save others from a similar emotional breakdown.

8602AD7E-606F-4A8D-AC31-D3C159B43377.jpeg

Wow thank you. I had given up. Now if I could just get the glass lights from under the  cupboards on my  2007 Monaco dynasty out so I could put LEDs in there. I stop trying I was afraid I’d break something .

Don

27 minutes ago, Donflem said:

Wow thank you. I had given up. Now if I could just get the glass lights from under the  cupboards on my  2007 Monaco dynasty out so I could put LEDs in there. I stop trying I was afraid I’d break something .

Don

Fortunately I didn’t have to pry the fixture loose to get to those bulbs, the lenses unscrewed easily. If you have to lower the fixture, try using something plastic and thin, like an auto trim removal tool. I’ve used that successfully to pry fixtures from the ceiling. You may also be able to access them by removing the floor of the cabinet above it. It’s a false bottom. Not sure what it would take to get it up though.