Inverter and Generator Problems

FishAR

I'll start with the inverter. Only charging at 12.7 and flickers between 0 and 3 amps. The battery temp monitor shows 151C which I know is impossible. I unplugged it but no help, it then shows 25C but still no real charging. Charger will start ok, then after about 20 seconds the remote panel charger light starts to flash. Troubleshooting says either low input voltage or high temp in the inverter (I've never heard a fan kick on in the inverter if that can be heard). I know I don't have low input voltage. I've got an external battery charger on the house batteries overnight again. I'm going to mess with it for a short time tomorrow and then if a miracle doesn't happen I'm going to take it out. Luckily for me my small home town of Marion, IL has a Magnum repair center. I figure getting it fixed would be cheaper than a new one? I'd like thoughts on that. I see a new one is around $900.

Now to the 10K Onan quiet diesel generator. I can't get enough electricity to it for it to turn over fast enough to start, so I don't know if it will start or not. Even with my big battery charger on the house batteries turned on boost/start. This battery charger will start a dead car with a V8. I'd like to try the battery boost function on the Monaco, but I guess I'm not smart enough to use it. I push the button on the dash, no light. Push the generator start button on the dash, nothing. It occurred to me maybe the ignition key has to be on? I'm considering trying it tomorrow with the motorhome running. I could use some guidance on this also. I've been all through the owner manual multiple times and haven't found my answer.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my dumb ass.

Edited by FishAR

I don't have a Magnum but I can imagine that it would limit or even stop charging if it thinks that the batteries are that hot. Sounds like a Magnum circuit problem to me if it shows 77C with sensor disconnected and no debree in the connector. Should default to much lower temp IMO. 

As far as the generator, I would bypass the battery cables and put jumper cables right at the generator battery post to give me a direction where the problem might be. People had problems with corrosion at the generator side cable connections. My gen starts from chassis batteries and the boost button helps when needed. Should work both ways.

19 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I don't have a Magnum but I can imagine that it would limit or even stop charging if it thinks that the batteries are that hot. Sounds like a Magnum circuit problem to me if it shows 77C with sensor disconnected and no debree in the connector. Should default to much lower temp IMO. 

As far as the generator, I would bypass the battery cables and put jumper cables right at the generator battery post to give me a direction where the problem might be. People had problems with corrosion at the generator side cable connections. My gen starts from chassis batteries and the boost button helps when needed. Should work both ways.

I edited that, unplugged it shows 25C.

On the magnum me2012 inverter/charger:

I called the local company listed as a magnum repair center. They informed me they were no longer a repair center and for some reason magnum refused to take them off their website. So the nearest one is hundreds of miles away.

Shipping this thing hundreds of miles on a shot in the dark about what repairs would cost is not something I'm willing to do, so I guess if I don't figure something out soon I'll be buying a new one at around $950.

Edited by FishAR

Assuming your BigBoy boost solenoid doesn’t need the contacts cleaned, I’d hold the boost switch down for 30 seconds and then try starting the generator. I had to do that this morning to get my generator to start after a day of dry camping. I’ve also had to start the engine to get even more voltage to the generator, but not after getting newer batteries.

• Like 1