Generator Issues

Nevada Rob

I have a 10K generator that is about to drive me nuts. It starts and runs great for about 15 minutes. At the 15 minute mark it starts to stall/stumble and blowing puffs of black smoke. This is obviously causing the A/C units issues and every other electrical thing in the coach to loose proper voltage. I remove all the load from the generator and it still does the same thing. I shut it off and restart about 10 seconds later and the stupid thing will run prefect for hours going down the road with all three A/C's, refer, battery charger, the whole enchilada.  Next day we have the same issues with the stalling/stumbling. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter (3 times), checked all electrical connection to make sure they are tight and secure. No fuel line leaks between the fuel tank and the possessed by evil spirits generator. I am reluctant to take it to the local Cummins shops due to fact that they wanted $600 to just do filter & fluid change. I have read about some people replacing the control board.   

• 1 month later...

Did you get the fault code?  Your manual tells you how to get the fault code. 

I have a 10k genset too. Mine was surging. I replaced fuel and air filter to no avail. My fault code was 14 Over frequency. This generally means the governor actuator was failing. I pulled it out and checked resistance which showed 3.3, which is good. Plunger moved smoothly by hand and with 12v applied.  I cleaned contacts and applied dielectric grease and reinstalled. It runs smoothly now, but I suspect it will surge again and I’ll replace the governor. 

• Like 2

Mine does not really surge as much as it stalls. My first thought is contaminated fuel in the tank. This coach sat for almost 2 years with half a tank of fuel and never moved. I have run one tank of fuel through it and now have BioCleaner and water cleaning/ treatment additives in the tank. I will see if this does help. I have become really good at changing the fuel filter on the generator. Only takes me about 10 minutes now. Practice make perfect I guess.

It does not fault enough to a code. There are no fault codes showing up. Kind of why I am frustrated with the thing. If I had a code then at least I would have some direction to look to.

Started my 10K genset yesterday while driving.  It started and run for 30-45  minutes then shut down.  It showed a 3-5 service code.  We were driving so I restarted and it run another period of time.  Wife got the manual out and the service code said (During startup the genset Controller detected an EE memory error) se a Onan dealer.

I restarted it and it run for over an hour until we stopped for the night.  Since it was Saturday no dealers open or close to me in eastern Colorado.

Any ideas?