Engine Cooling

Guest bobstromain

Guest bobstromain

Several months ago  I replaced the Danfoss Thermo Valve that controls fan speed on ISL 400.  The parameters for the new control was different from the original.  I was told that the new parameter was as required by cummins.   The engine now runs an average of 5 degrees warmer  (197-202)  between 202-203 the fan speeds up and it immediately cools down to 197 or so.  the transmission averages 200-202. I notice on some post some engines run considerably cooler.  I used to run average 195   Any comments appreciated  

Bob St. Romain

04 Windsor 

Newer EPA requirements are easier to meet at higher engine temps…probably why your temps are slightly higher. Your new #s are not that hot and I would not worry about a engine temp until it gets above 115.

• Like 1

If you are concerned you can install an adjustable wax valve fan controller.  It will allow you to set any temperature you want.  Both Cat and Detroit use the mechanical valve from the factory but Cummins uses the electronic controller. 

The mechanical wax valve is more reliable than the electronic valve.  

Lots of reading here:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fan-stuck-wide-open-376611.html 

First you need to determine if you have a ISL 400 or a ISL 400-2 engine.  If your coach was built between Aug 2003 and December 31 2003, you have a ISL 400 engine.  If your coach was built Jan 1, 2004 or later you have a ISL 400-2 and you paid around $3500.00 for the EPA mandated upgrade.  The range of temps are correct, the same as my 2004 Windsor that was built in January 2004.  I suggest you leave a sleeping dog alone.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor