Replacing Norcold in slide with residential ( who has done this ? )

Well I guess a residential refrigerator is in the future.   Very Near Future that is !  

We have a ’02 Diplomat 40’  PBT.   The Norcold 4 door refrigerator is in the slide next to the cook top .   Well, the right hand refrigerator door came off last night.   Looks like the bottom hinge that is in the door frame weakened.    Right now   all items that were in the door have found new places to be.   Door is ‘on’, and duct taped as a reminder NOT to open it.  We have added wood at the bottom of the hinge area with screws to support it, and have screwed wood to the bottom frame with pressure on the door to prevent it from pulling out.

I’m hoping others who have replaced their Norcold in the same type of configuration can tell me which residential they decided on.   I’m expecting it would be a 2 door, either top or bottom freezer.   We don’t have a problem with the door swing as we have an opposing slide so while parked we have plenty of room.   We have a Freedom Combi Inverter/Charger which is modified sine wave.  We ARE limited to height because of the slide.   See attached picture.  

I have downloaded several articles from the files section regarding the Norcold / replacement, etc.

Any additional information / recommendations are great appreciated.    

Regards,

Pat D.

’02 Diplomat 40’ PBT 

Refer.jpg

The Samsung RF18 should fit pretty easy for you. You will probably have to do a little carpenter work. It is the favorite that most to change to. It will run off your current inverter also. I have had one for about a year now with no problems. 

35 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

The Samsung RF18 should fit pretty easy for you. You will probably have to do a little carpenter work. It is the favorite that most to change to. It will run off your current inverter also. I have had one for about a year now with no problems. 

I appreciate the information ... however I read the RF18 height is 68 7/8o"  ...  won't fit.

Regards,

Pat D.

’02 Diplomat 40’ PBT

15 minutes ago, Rivrman2 said:

If not residential, you can find a replacement door. - I just replaced mine for the same reason plus there is a hinge reinforcement kit you can buy very reasonably. 

We have considered that as well.    I remember seeing a post recently that someone had parts ...  will have to look for that post again.    Appreciate the suggestion.

Regards,

Pat D.

’02 Diplomat 40’ PBT

Whirlpool makes a 2 door, with a side freezer, that is only 65 1/2” tall but that is 1/2” taller than the 1200 hole… still requires a little woodwork. The one I installed is 21 cuft but not a counter depth… had to take the driver’s window out.

I didn't do any changes, but I'm wondering how folks get the residential units in their coach.  I'm thinking through the front windshield maybe?  Fortunately we will be doing this if our Frigidaire dies since we have a chip in the windshield that can't be repaired anymore than it already has been, the glass shop it needs to be replaced, which insurance will cover.  We will be looking for a shop that can "rebuild" our Frigidaire since it has the matching cherry wood on the doors that match our cabinets.  My DW has made it clear, the wood doors on the refrig are staying.  I don't think they are making reefer's with wood cabinet doors any longer.   

Pat D., that valance(?) above your Norcold, is there anything in that space?  Cables, wires?  If not I would think you could gain an inch or two with a little work on it.  Oak trim is readily available, looks like just a natural stain and poly.  Good luck.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

I want to do a follow-up on my original post.    I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.    

After further investigation, and checking on getting another door, we decided to try and 'fix' the door for the time being.     

We were able to get another metal hinge bracket, that is  attached to the refrigerator itself.   Although we didn't really need it as that was not the cause of the door falling off.    As others have found the failure of the door was the plastic on the door itself.    The cause was probably due to age and having too much weight in the door.   We fabricated metal to replace the plastic on the side.    I'm attaching pictures of both the failure, and our temporary  'fix'.    The door closed OK, but was a bit 'wobbly'   We discovered today that the door hangs just a bit lower than the left.    Looking at the old metal bracket,  there was a bushing and we moved that to the new bracket.   The  lower right hand side door. still hangs a bit lower.     Once we get back to our home base in 2 months we'll take a closer look at the doors and compare them when we can remove them.    A residential refrigerator will still be considered when we have the time and resources ( man-power ) to replace it.   Where we are at our summer location doesn't lend itself to replacement at this time unless we have a  catastrophic failure.   We are limited to what we can replace it with due to the Norcold in a slide with low ceiling height.

Again, I do appreciate all the suggestions.

Regards,

Pat D.

’02 Diplomat 40’ PBT

RHS door .jpeg

RHS door fix.jpeg