No low beams, just high beams 2002 Dynasty

Hello,

My 2002 Monaco Dynasty has no low beam headlights when I pull on the headlight switch. When I switch to high beams, the high beams come on. The previous owner swapped the originals headlight housings to an aftermarket housing. Looks like an aftermarket 1997 BMW 5 series headlight housing.  

I have power on both screws at the low beam headlight fuse panel in the front drivers side electrical box.

Before I order a new set of headlight housings are there some other things I can check?

My apologies if this has been discussed previously. I tried searching articles and posts but couldn’t find what I needed. 

if you could steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it. 

• Like 1

There was a discussion on this earlier.  Search for this in the electrical section. I had the same problem and it was where the wire harness plugs into the smart wheel control box in the front bay beneath the driver. J12 connector was burned. 

16 hours ago, ktloah said:

There was a discussion on this earlier.  Search for this in the electrical section. I had the same problem and it was where the wire harness plugs into the smart wheel control box in the front bay beneath the driver. J12 connector was burned. 

Thanks for the guidance. Here is what my J12 connector looks like. What did you do? Splice in a new one?

F3F3F0DE-16B2-40CD-81CF-6C806CF51C75.jpeg

Hey Patrick, here's  a pic of mine. I bypassed the smart wheel box for the headlights. I believe that over time, the relays wear out or get weak. I ran a 12 ga. Hot wire to a new relay,  a 12 ga. Wire to grd. Took P2 wire from the J12 plug and to the relay. P1 wire I cut and taped off. 

20210727_111226.jpg

20210729_150256.jpg

• Like 1

Common problem…seems to take 10 years. Suspect corrosion on the plug’s pins builds up, creating a high resistance situation. I bypassed the burnt plug by soldering 2 new wires to the back of the board.

A new controller is $175 from VIP

27C570B5-625D-40FC-A9D8-20145FB96B37.jpeg

DDF8A210-7771-4C1F-80FB-75992063C5C7.jpeg

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

I had the same issue with burnt contacts at the SW board. With the help from others here, here is the solution I implemented:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8202fc641f1950b7588fca8fef1d11d.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated.

I checked power to P1 on J12 connector and had 12 volts. Checked P2 on J12 with the headlight switch on and off. When the switch is on (pulled out) I have 12 volts at P2. That seems to be working as it should. Yes?

Then I checked power across one of the low beam connectors. Power was 12 volts, so I seem to have power to the headlights. 

Pulled the bulb on one side. It looks possibly burnt out. Could be just a bulb issue? 

I just got this rig last week and cannot confirm if the low beams worked when I bought it or not. 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:30 PM, Mocephus said:

I had the same issue with burnt contacts at the SW board. With the help from others here, here is the solution I implemented:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8202fc641f1950b7588fca8fef1d11d.jpeg

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I checked power to P1 on J12 connector and had 12 volts. Checked P2 on J12 with the headlight switch on and off. When the switch is on (pulled out) I have 12 volts at P2. That seems to be working as it should. Yes?

Then I checked power across one of the low beam connectors. Power was 12 volts, so I seem to have power to the headlights. 

Pulled the bulb on one side. It looks possibly burnt out. Could be just a bulb issue? 

I just got this rig last week and cannot confirm if the low beams worked when I bought it or not.