Oil Level Sensor Failure

I have a 99 Diplomat with an Allison MD3060 transmission.

Had a recent problem with the transmission when I stopped to get fuel and propane.  Started the engine and the “check transmission” was on and I got code oL-95.  Tried several times to shift it into gear but it was a no go.  Added another quart of transmission fluid but still nothing.  After about 90 minutes, tried it one more time and it worked.  Brought it home and tried the next day and everything worked but today it doesn’t and showing code oL-95 once again.

So I’m looking for a shop in the Olympia, WA area that can replace the sensor.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Bill

99 Diplomat with an Allison MD3060 transmission.

Rochester, WA

I assume that the code ol-95 signifies Failed Oil Level Sensor as I am not near my laptop that has all of my information.

So basically you are asking where to go to have a new sensor installed.

I would Google Allison Transmission Service shops to see what pops up in your area. They likely will have the part too versus having to order it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info.  From all I've read, it appears to be mounted internally.

I was looking for some recommendations for local service from personal experience.  I have a couple in mind and will contact them today.

I have tested putting it in gear since I got back and it works every other day.  I think I'd rather have it not work at all than just sometimes.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Agreed

I think I'll try cleaning contacts that someone suggested on IRV2 and see if that solves the problem.

I would think, and maybe I'm all wet, that a sensor would go out and stay out where as a connector could fade in and out.  It has shifted into gear without issues for the last three days sitting in my driveway.

• 1 month later...

Just to wrap this topic up.  I did find a shop in Chehalis, WA that could do the work. Great service, Transmission Unlimited. Owner volunteered to come out and do the work in my driveway. It is now fixed w/ a new oil level sensor, wiring harness, fluid change and new filters.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

20 hours ago, mrbill1951 said:

Just to wrap this topic up.  I did find a shop in Chehalis, WA that could do the work. Great service, Transmission Unlimited. Owner volunteered to come out and do the work in my driveway. It is now fixed w/ a new oil level sensor, wiring harness, fluid change and new filters.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

For reference, what trans do you have, and what was involved with replacing the sensor?

Thanks.

I have the Allison MD3060 transmission.

He drained the fluid, removed the filters, unbolted the bottom of the transmission, dropped the bottom out, removed the oil level sensor, compared the old one with the new one and determined the new one was not correct and order another new one.  Once he had the replacement, replaced the oil level sensor and wiring harness, bolted the bottom of the transmission back into place, insert the filters and filled it up.  It appeared to be a fairly straight forward process, as long as you have the right parts.

Below is a picture of the bottom of the transmission sitting on my garage floor waiting for the right part.

Cost to replace, with two trips out to my place, was $1,403, which includes $880 of parts.

transmission.jpg

Thanks, that's the same tranny I have.

Mine's a 1993 however, and I don't think it has the oil level sensor.

I know I've tried the code to read it from the keypad and it doesn't work.

If a non-critical sensor failure like that is going to strand me, I rather just check my fluids manually anyway..

I'd have thought there'd be anoption to bypass the sensor in an emergency anyway.