Charging system

Rikadoo

Ok so i have a silly ass question, so my coach is for now working as it should, it starts, runs, drives an everything is as it should be. Just a few months ago i replaced the radiator an 95% of the entire cooling system. At that time of it being all appart i decided while it was out to be proactive an get the alternator rebuilt cause now seem to be the best time since i could get to it. Everthing is as it should be. My alternator is a “DUVAC” style as it states it on the outside. Reading others with similar systems shows they have a “isolator” to charge both battery banks as its needed, an the seperate sensor wire sends battery voltage to the regulator so it knows when to taper off the charge… i get that, my question is since i have the special alternator to perform this charging miracle WHY DOESNT MY COACH HAVE A ISOLATOR! I have been all over an dont see one anywhere!!! Now i can say i have NOT traced the output wire, i believe it to go directly to the battery, i also dont see where there may have been any isolator. The only system i see that shares voltage from bank to bank is the aftermarket “Magnum” system shown in the left, which i understand it links the two banks together with a limit of 25 amps. Also that solinoid below it is the “jumper” to jump the two in case one goes dead. Did HR not put isolators on all there units.BAE1C8F8-C489-4DC6-8A91-A28A7DD07CF6.thumb.jpeg.b8c47d27729c0838071cee6dfb0beafc.jpegCD59493A-476B-44A1-9B64-B14A70A64F84.thumb.jpeg.086d2e2e865312df892a312109330719.jpegBD65E2ED-9199-4EBA-9089-145493E2839B.thumb.jpeg.70e4b9876f05cb7f7be0e6c65ba9aa09.jpeg

Rik,

I have the same coach, it was not charging the "house" batteries while I traveled.  I replaced that silver colored relay in the center of your photo with a Blue Sea ML-ACR.

I was on the road so I did not connect the remote control.  It has worked great in "auto".  If I should need to do the "Jumped"/"Combined" batteries I can manually do that.  It's not like I would need to do that on the roll....

What it does, is that no matter what is charging the batteries, inverter or engine alternator or even a battery charger connected to one of the battery sets both sets of batteries get charged as needed.  When discharging either set of batteries they are separate.   You can manually over ride that separation by manually moving the yellow knob (or remotely if you install it).

Ken

ML-ACR.jpg

Rik,

The hardest part about the swap out was I had to use a step drill to open up the holes in the wire terminals to fit over the (bigger) terminal posts.  I left the purple and white wires disconnected...

Ken

im always amazed how they look alike but are sooooo different underneath! I guess I just got to thinking reading about how so many are having issues that I started wondering "what if I have a issue" that it would be better to know now rather than trying to figure it out on the road...