3rd AC Unit

gjh2916

We had an 'Atrium' model HR Endeavor several years ago.  Finding that the big Atrium windows and windshield let in a lot of sun/heat in summer, even with the standard 2 AC units running on high, we installed a 3rd unit to replace the overhead kitchen vent. 

The coach had the standard 8k gen-set and had no problem running all 3 AC's at the same time, as long as we were attentive to what other appliances were also being used.  I made a separate 120vac line for it that I could either connect directly to the power pedestal when parked, or run to the block heater outlet/breaker for use when on the road.

Wasn't a very difficult job and it worked superbly, often joking that we could make now the interior cold enough to hang meat.

Good luck!

Ron that is good to hear, I was going to power it off the 20 amp dryer circuit, with a relay to control which appliance to operate, my coach didn't come prewired for a 3rd AC unit. Since I put 2 new Dometic Blizzard units on a couple of years ago, I was thinking about adding another 15K unit  and controlling it with the CCC2 thermostat.

At first blush, I'd say your idea should work, Gary.  Dunno though, if you have an EMS system, they can act strange at times.

It's been a few years and I don't remember exactly how I wired it in the panel, but I think I switched out one single AC breaker for a tandem breaker in the main box.  I used a heavy-duty DPDT-center-off appliance switch to control mine when changing power sources.

As an aside, when I was redoing the power, I ran another line from each AC breaker in the panel to the floor area near the AC's and installed outlets so I could plug in little cube heaters when needed.  That way, I wasn't doubling-up on drawing off big loads on a line.  I also couldn't think of a time when I'd be using an AC and a heater simultaneously, so it seemed like an obvious choice.