Power step control module.

daveyjo

A couple of years ago, I bought a Lippert Electric Step Control Module, REV  164889 for my 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter.  The package label said it is for all Lippert steps, but clearly it wasn’t.  I installed it but it did not work.  I discovered that the Monaco wiring harness in my coach didn’t match up with the new control board wiring, i.e., the red and yellow leads on the new module were reversed from that on my old module at the 4 prong connector, which made it reversed from the coach side wiring harness.  I reversed the red and yellow leads on the module, and it then worked.  (The coach side wiring was red at +12V dc, the yellow at 0 volts with ignition off, +12v with ignition on.) 

The only module I could find for my 2005 Scepter is the one I bought (probably from Venturics) but there must be another module that would match the connector on my coach and my old defective module (now long gone).  FYI, Lippert does sell a different shape module for 2006 and newer coaches, so I clearly didn’t have the 2006 newer module.

Lippert says if the coach is older than 2006, it may need an upgrade kit.  (Maybe that plus a new module is what I need?)  Mine coach was built in 2004, but is a 2005 model year.  But Lippert says they can’t help me without the data on the step’s tag, and mine is illegible. (It is on the back side of one of the step’s vertical surfaces.)  Does anyone know what model steps are on a 2005 Scepter or probably Camelot?  Or what model step module it takes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave Jones

612 581-7503

Hi Dave,

I recently replaced the steps on the coach (replaced the old Kwikee steps with a with a new set of model 25 steps) which uses the new control module. The shape is sort of square with an oblique side. It does have improved control module, at least that is what Lippert told me. I have a mid entry door on a gas coach, so this is different.

When I received the steps, I also received the full set of instructions and a harness to test the operation of the steps. I have these in the coach and can provide info from these to you. Let me know if you are interested. It may help with diagnosis.

Martin

Dave, I had the same problem with the model number tag. What I did was eliminate the module and hard wired the motor to a 12v supply. Put in a new in/out switch to redirect the power flow in the same spot that the original switch located. It has worked good the past 4 years. The problem is you have to make sure the step is manually out, if not, that first step could be dangerous. Same with closing the step, the in/out procedure is now manual. I put a magnetic open/close switch on the step and installed a red light on the driver's side A pillar that turns on when the step is out when ignition switch is turned on. You have to verify that the motor still works before you start to rewire it. Hope my description was clear enough.

Gary 05 AMB DST

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Martinvz said:

Hi Dave,

I recently replaced the steps on the coach (replaced the old Kwikee steps with a with a new set of model 25 steps) which uses the new control module. The shape is sort of square with an oblique side. It does have improved control module, at least that is what Lippert told me. I have a mid entry door on a gas coach, so this is different.

When I received the steps, I also received the full set of instructions and a harness to test the operation of the steps. I have these in the coach and can provide info from these to you. Let me know if you are interested. It may help with diagnosis.

Martin

Thanks, Martin, but I have those.  Using those is how I learned I needed to switch the red and yellow wires.

14 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Dave, I had the same problem with the model number tag. What I did was eliminate the module and hard wired the motor to a 12v supply. Put in a new in/out switch to redirect the power flow in the same spot that the original switch located. It has worked good the past 4 years. The problem is you have to make sure the step is manually out, if not, that first step could be dangerous. Same with closing the step, the in/out procedure is now manual. I put a magnetic open/close switch on the step and installed a red light on the driver's side A pillar that turns on when the step is out when ignition switch is turned on. You have to verify that the motor still works before you start to rewire it. Hope my description was clear enough.

Gary 05 AMB DST

I am manually doing just that so I can use the steps while I look for a replacement module.  The upgrade kit Lippert suggested may be all I need to make my next control module be the one marked "universal"work.

Interesting that you posted this.  I am replacing my Kwikee steps in my 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer this weekend.  The previous owner bent them to all to heck and back, so I bought new STEPS (sans motor and electronics).  I was in the process of switching all the gear over and noticed the red and yellow wires were reversed in the motor connector.  These steps worked before I took them apart.  I am putting them back together again exactly the same (except with the new steps) so I don't expect any issues.  But I have to get some stainless hardware tomorrow (yes, I'm a little OCD).  Anyway, I thought it was odd that the wires to the motor were switched at the connector, especially when the connector is KEYED to only go one way.

I have some Kwikee info I can share.  Can you post a pic of your steps?  Are they 2 step or 3 step?  Mine are 3 step and they are a Series 25.  Also, the people at Lippert were VERY helpful when I called them.

P.S.  I went to the trouble of removing the label from the old steps and used 3M double sided tape to attach it to my new steps so I don't lose the model, serial, etc.

Edited by CorinthWest
Typo

Hi Rick, 

My steps are also model 35. I had to replace it as the gear had lost sone teeth (no dentures could be found) and a replacement gear is not available. I still have the hardware and electrics all in working condition except for the gear plate.

And I must agree with you that the support from Lippert is awesome.

The old Kwikee steps are available if anybody would like to pay the shipping. We are in FL heading west but shipping can be arranged via my son.

Martin

Martin,

I typed that wrong and corrected it.  Mia Culpa.  My steps are Series 25.  The Part number is 902508000.  The 3rd and 4th digits are the model.

Here is the info I have from Lippert:

Customer Service: 1 (574) 537-8900 (ask for Christina Schult - she was wonderful and sent me the original blueprints for the model 25, which I can post if anyone is interested).

Note:  The Kwikee part number 902508000 crosses to a Lippert 902509000.  They explained it to me, and it had something to do with the buyout.  But I don't recall exactly.  I just wanted my new steps, which I got through e-trailer.  PERFECT replacement.  LOL

Edited by CorinthWest

I suggest starting with the model number of your step.  You can find it on a label on the underside of the step base plate (the part that mounts to your coach).  It should have 9 digits that start with a "9", and it should say "Kwikee" on it.  The 3rd and 4th digit is the model number ("series").  Then I would call Lippert and ask them (phone number above).  Or you could pick out a 2 step and see if the part numbers for the motor and electronics are the same.  Just a thought.......

I know there are MANY variations in the parts - load motor vs. indexed, different types of drives, different electronics, etc., so I would be surprised if the parts are interchangeable.  But I don't think the load on the motor would be your concern.  There should be very little effort to move the steps in/out, whether it is 1 or 2 steps.  But I'm no expert on the subject.  What I do know is that if you don't know what you are doing, they can hurt you.  So be careful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CorinthWest said:

Interesting that you posted this.  I am replacing my Kwikee steps in my 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer this weekend.  The previous owner bent them to all to heck and back, so I bought new STEPS (sans motor and electronics).  I was in the process of switching all the gear over and noticed the red and yellow wires were reversed in the motor connector.  These steps worked before I took them apart.  I am putting them back together again exactly the same (except with the new steps) so I don't expect any issues.  But I have to get some stainless hardware tomorrow (yes, I'm a little OCD).  Anyway, I thought it was odd that the wires to the motor were switched at the connector, especially when the connector is KEYED to only go one way.

I have some Kwikee info I can share.  Can you post a pic of your steps?  Are they 2 step or 3 step?  Mine are 3 step and they are a Series 25.  Also, the people at Lippert were VERY helpful when I called them.

P.S.  I went to the trouble of removing the label from the old steps and used 3M double sided tape to attach it to my new steps so I don't lose the model, serial, etc.

On my step control module (Lippert Electric Step Control Module, REV  164889 for my 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter) I found I had to switch the red and yellow leads going to the 4 connector lead coming from the CONTROL MODULE, not the MOTOR.  The motor only has 2 wires going to it, and I don't know what color mine are.

Thanks for the step tag info in your later message

My coach has a 1 step construction - see photo.  466704765_frontstepextended.jpg.125a549d3b4b1f74baee694ad73d797b.jpg

6 hours ago, tomevansfl said:

I have a question re: replacement steps. My diplomat came with a single Power step (I don’t know model number at this time). Can I switch to a two step model and use the existing motor or will two steps be too much load?

I don't have a clue.  I'd call Lippert to find out.

• 1 year later...

I've been cruising the Kwikee Step string and found this one. My steps originally locked in the closed position (thank God). I removed the pin in order to make the steps swing-out freely. Then I started to diagnose. Took the motor out and it works fine. I tested the switch and I've got power. I suspect it might be the control board. My question is, how do I determine what model steps and what controller I might need? So much reading here leads me to believe there are many models and most of the videos on the Youtubes say that "most" of these take the same motor and controller. But how do we know? I've got a one-step job like the one in the picture above. 

Is there a way to positively identify which model step, etc.? 

Thanks. 

Russell

2003 Monaco Windsor  

4 hours ago, Russell said:

I've been cruising the Kwikee Step string and found this one. My steps originally locked in the closed position (thank God). I removed the pin in order to make the steps swing-out freely. Then I started to diagnose. Took the motor out and it works fine. I tested the switch and I've got power. I suspect it might be the control board. My question is, how do I determine what model steps and what controller I might need? So much reading here leads me to believe there are many models and most of the videos on the Youtubes say that "most" of these take the same motor and controller. But how do we know? I've got a one-step job like the one in the picture above. 

Is there a way to positively identify which model step, etc.? 

Thanks. 

Russell

2003 Monaco Windsor  

Your best bet is to call Lippert and give them all the numbers from your controller and motor, and they’ll tell you what you need. This is what I did, when I replaced my controller and motor last year, they were incredibly helpful.

• Thanks 1