House 12 volt drops out for 1-3 minutes

stuben

My 2008 camelot 42DSQ drops the house 12 volt for a short time when I use a heavier 12 volt load. Power restores in a minute or so. All chassis and 120 AC works fine. I have verified the battery disconnect solenoid is working ( even bypassed it, still same issue) New batteries,with new lugs on cables and cleaned the master grounds to the coach chassis frame rail behind the battery compartment. tested the draw down while running rear slide. RV Electrical expert that spent 2 hours checking all systems while I replicated the issue is stumped.  Any ideas welcome.  Thanks 

To better understand what is happening..... you are saying that with a voltmeter on the batteries, you operate a "large load' (like a slide motor) and other 12v components (like light bulbs) go dim, (voltage drops), but the meter on the batteries does not drop?

Ken

Cubflyer   To better clarify.  I have a total power outage on the house 12 volt system when my issue occurs. If I use one of the bigger slides or the sanicon or all three fans on high, the power shuts off completely for a couple minutes and then comes back on and everything works. When this happens the magnum remote control reads 13.4 or higher. I do not lose power to the magnum remote control display just everything on the House 12 volt. ??   Intellitec tech walked me through a couple "tests" and ruled out the Intellitec EMS board.  

When you say the you loose the house 12 volts, I'm wondering if it is really only just the house 12 volt lightning and other systems controlled my the interior switch keypads under heavy loads. 

If that is the case I would check both the power and ground connections in the cabinet where you have the Intellitec multiplex modules.  Although you don't have a CPU based system like the Dynasty and above models you still have a basic multiplex system and a loose connection might be your issue with the system shutting down and then rebooting due to low voltages from a poor connection.

Good ideas Frank,  I have checked and tightened and exercised every connection and connector that I can find including going deep into the panels. I even found the master ground connections on the main frame and crawled in and removed cleaned and reconnected. When I lose the 12 vdc house, I lose everything (slides, intellitec system lights and fans, sanicon, outside radio. the chassis battery side is fine and I have 120ac when this happens. I am thinking I might have a issue with the magnum inverter shutting down the 12 volt system even though my batteries are full charge. I have done a hard and soft reset on the magnum.  Or there is a 5 dollar relay somewhere acting up that I cannot find? Issue continues.  Thanks Doug

Good information.  The pretty much rules out a problem with the Intellitec multiplex system.  I believe that on your coach, the Magnum directly connects to the house batteries.  If that is correct, have you bypassed the house battery cutoff switch to eliminate that as a potential source of the problem or have you tested to be sure that you have house battery power after the battery cutoff switch when you loose house 12V power?

The magnum would not be causing a loss of house 12 VDC.  When on shore power, the magnum is simply passing through 120VAC and is sending 12VDC to change the batteries. In many cases the magnum is directly connect to the house batteries and doesn't go through the battery cutoff switch.  So, it would make sense that the magnum charging voltage would only be seen by the batteries.

I sent you a few private messages with things to check and will take the detailed discussions offline to help resolve the issue without a lot of Q/A on the forum. 

I'm working on getting house wiring diagrams for your coach.  Our files right now only have a 12 VDC chassis wiring diagram. 

If someone has a house high power 12VDC wiring diagram for a +/-2008 Camelot, please post it or send it directly to me.  I already sent a message to Tom Cherry to see if he has one on his coach.

There are several high current circuit breakers in the 12 volt system.  Typically there is one the supplies the house 12 volt system.  There are also some for high current loads such as the slides, power reels, jacks, etc.  They are typically a square black device about 2 to 3 inches in size.  They can be mounted just about anywhere depending on the coach model and year.  Some automatically reset.  I would look at your 12 volt supply in the battery compartment, up front in the FRB, etc.  They will have larger wires, maybe as big as 02.  None of the loads you describe should trip them at there rating, but you could have a bad one.

Today I found two very loose connections on the buss bar behind the intellitec panel. Tightened them up and my issue has been solved.

Thanks to all for your insights and especially Frank McElroy for the files. This web sight and ya'll are awsome

Doug

Edited by stuben
  • Like 1

Doug, thanks for posting the solution.  I'm very happy you fixed the problem.  Thanks for the kind words.

As a follow-up for the group, over the past few days Doug and I have been communicating offline to find a solution.  I want to thank Tom Cherry for sending me a complete set of wiring diagrams for his 2009 Camelot.  As it turns out, at least for the high current 12 VDC, it was a match to Doug's 2008 Camelot.  Attached is a link to these wiring diagrams now in our files.  I mentioned to Doug that it was critical that he find and verify voltages on the buss bar and breakers when he had the problem on 12vdc cutout.

More specifically, here is a blowup of the high current 12 VDC showing the buss strip and breakers that had the loose connections referenced in Doug's solution update.

This is a good reminder that others with similar coaches should check to be sure connections on this buss bar are tight.

image.png.2e847148d59091631b24e5dfb26ea8da.png