replacement for Shurflo 12v smart sensor 5.7 water pump

Jim McGarvie

We have been using subject pump for several years and are very happy with it. Very quiet, plenty of output, no cycling. I would like to purchase another for a spare, but they no longer seem to be available. Any suggestions for a similar replacement? I would like it to be plug and play, with the same form factor, mounting, and plumbing fittings. If I need to install it, it will be because we are boondocking and I won't want a time-consuming installation.

Thanks.

Jim

I'm not familiar with that pump but this one has been very good to me;

Flow Max Water Pump for RVs

It's inexpensive, well built, and I had two but sold my spare to my neighbor as her sure-flow packed it in. 

With respect to cycling, if you have an accumulator already in your system this should not be an issue. If you don't, then maybe one of those more expensive variable pumps might be in order. 

This one was a direct replacement on my 2000 Diplomat. So if the shoe fits, I'd wear it. 

EDIT: I just looked into your pump and it is the high end variable output design. My post will likely not apply. 

Edited by Bob Jones

Jim,

I would start by calling Shurflo customer service and talk with them as to what would be their current model that would be a "plug-n-play" to replace your current pump.

I prefer using the Remco Aqua-Jet ARV-55 variable speed water pump. I've been using them for years and they are very reliable.

Remco 55-AQUAJET Industries 55AQUAJET-ARV Aqua Jet H2O Pump 5.3 Gpm 12V | RV Water Pump Systems

Dr4Film, I too have used the Remco RV pump for years and been very happy. But getting a little technical, when you read the description in the link you provided, and I saw this when I purchased my last pump, the Remco is called a “5.3 Gpm” pump.  But if you read further they say 3.5 Gpm, with reference to ES.

I’m not sure if there are 2 models, but even the Amazon link to the 5.3 uses the 3.5 rate.  Do you have any info on this?

58 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Yes, the Remco 55ARV is the 5.3 GPM rated at 10 amps whereas the 55AES is the smaller 3.5 GPM rated at 7 amps.

Here are two better links to information directly on the Remco web site.

55AQUAJET-ARV-Spec-Sheet.pdf (remcoindustries.com)

AquaJet PUMP – Remco (remcoindustries.com)

Thanks for clarifying, just to make sure the 55 ARV is the one being purchased.

8 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

With respect to cycling, if you have an accumulator already in your system this should not be an issue. If you don't, then maybe one of those more expensive variable pumps might be in order.

EDIT: I just looked into your pump and it is the high end variable output design. My post will likely not apply. 

Thanks for the input Bob. We do not currently have an accumulator, so I think I would like to stick with a variable speed pump.

5 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim,

I would start by calling Shurflo customer service and talk with them as to what would be their current model that would be a "plug-n-play" to replace your current pump.

I prefer using the Remco Aqua-Jet ARV-55 variable speed water pump. I've been using them for years and they are very reliable.

Remco 55-AQUAJET Industries 55AQUAJET-ARV Aqua Jet H2O Pump 5.3 Gpm 12V | RV Water Pump Systems

Thanks Richard. I didn't find a website for Shurflo yesterday, but this morning found that apparently it is now Pentair. I will give them a call.

And thanks for the tip about the Remco. I will definitely look into that. Do you carry a spare pump?

25 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Thanks Richard. I didn't find a website for Shurflo yesterday, but this morning found that apparently it is now Pentair. I will give them a call.

And thanks for the tip about the Remco. I will definitely look into that. Do you carry a spare pump?

I always carried a spare pump on all of our trips when traveling to Alaska and then back to the lower 48. I would install the new one and carry the old one. However, on my last trip up there in 2015 we stopped in Watson Lake for a couple of nights to take a break from the daily driving when my neighbor traveling out of Alaska went to use their water pump and it was spraying all over the bay. It was obvious that the dealership in Wasilla AK where he had purchased the 5ver did not winterize the RV properly. I sold the spare to him for $50 and he was a happy camper. We haven't been back to Alaska since then but when we do go, I will purchase a new water pump, install the new one and carry the older one as a spare.

Edited by Dr4Film