Step Cover Worm Gear

8A308190-59B2-4B63-BC53-B3E0E0ED6FF2.thumb.jpeg.8578fa22fa55703c606cd409d65ec1fa.jpeg

Is this your step cover mechanism? Don’t have a closer view of the threaded bushing on mine unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Bob Keating said:

That is the one!

I need the round gear that the long worm gear goes through.

I have the parts diagram for that. Also check in our files it might be there.

1 hour ago, Bob Keating said:

Thanks!

I did find a diagram in the downloads section. Any idea where to source parts?

Unfortunately no. I keep mine lubed to hopefully make last a long time. Hopefully some will chime in with a solution.

37 minutes ago, Bob Keating said:

Thanks Paul.

I found that also. It is not the same as the one in my coach. Mine is still working, but I know the gear slider will let go eventually.

I might try to find a machine shop that can make one.

Thank you all for your help.

Have you tried McMaster Carr. They were my go to when I worked in the lumber industry. They have anything and everything. I got my parts to rebuild my entry steps. Saved me over $300. Parts were only $20.

Gary,

You have to extend the cover first if you can.  Mine would not extend, so I gave it a hard tug and the bracket that engages the side rails popped out. The I pulled the cover out. there are three screws along the each side, and there are two that attach the limiting bracket to the footrest. Once that is off, there are two screws, mine were hidden behind a cloth material, that hold the whole assembly to the edge of the stepwell. Some posters have indicated they could not get the assembly out without removing the door frame. on mine, I loosened the grab handle and was able to pivot it out of the way. You can the lift the front of the assembly up and turn it so it will fit through the door. I am sorry, I did not take any pictures when I did this.

By the way, your suggestion for McMaster Carr was spot on! I found out the part I need is called a Lead Screw Nut (Allied 3/4' 6 pitch P/N 2224N17). They have one that is a clam shell design. That way, you do not have to remove the lead screw. It looks like it will work with some modification.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Keating said:

Gary,

You have to extend the cover first if you can.  Mine would not extend, so I gave it a hard tug and the bracket that engages the side rails popped out. The I pulled the cover out. there are three screws along the each side, and there are two that attach the limiting bracket to the footrest. Once that is off, there are two screws, mine were hidden behind a cloth material, that hold the whole assembly to the edge of the stepwell. Some posters have indicated they could not get the assembly out without removing the door frame. on mine, I loosened the grab handle and was able to pivot it out of the way. You can the lift the front of the assembly up and turn it so it will fit through the door. I am sorry, I did not take any pictures when I did this.

By the way, your suggestion for McMaster Carr was spot on! I found out the part I need is called a Lead Screw Nut (Allied 3/4' 6 pitch P/N 2224N17). They have one that is a clam shell design. That way, you do not have to remove the lead screw. It looks like it will work with some modification.

I hope this helps.

Hey! Ya got the wrong Gary on the McMaster info. ☹️
Just messing with ya a little bit.

2 hours ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Thanks Robert K, I sometimes pretend to be Gary M. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Ah ha!!!!!

Guest Ray Davis
On 5/16/2022 at 8:34 AM, Bob Keating said:

I hope this helps.

Bob, please let us know if the part from McMaster works.  That could be a great find.  My step cover still works too, but I have thought many times that any day now that plastic lead screw nut is gonna strip or break.