AIR CONDITIONER REPLACEMENT

When our Dometic Penguin 2 in our bedroom gave up the ghost roughly a year and a half ago, a direct Dometic replacement would take well over a month to get due to covid production/shipping constraints. RV Tech suggested the Houghton units sold by RecPro as many of his customers were changing their working Penguins out for these as they were much quieter.  Had some trips planned that we didn't want to miss, got online and ordered directly from Recpro and had a heat pump unit in a few days. 

Drove our rig to mobile RV tech's workshop where he used his forklift to get AC units off/on roof, would have installed myself with help from my eldest, just didn't have time available with work and upcoming trips around the corner.  Well, they are indeed quieter although they appear to deliver more velocity/cfm, have modes/options not available on our Penguins, and state soft start technology in their documentation.   Thus far the RecPro unit is performing well, going the same route when main AC unit dies.

Edited by Sandia Man

• 1 month later...

You will need a CCC2 thermostat for each unit. Some say that you need an extra gasket for each unit due to the integrated drain system. When I pulled off my first unit it was clear that the two gaskets were compressed all the way to the drain so the end result was just like what would happen if one gasket was used so I did not stack gaskets. Be sure to get a tube or two of a highest quality sealant to use liberally around the area where the drain goes through the gasket. 

Edited by Chargerman

4 hours ago, jraynor said:

Great thread.  Stupid question from a newb is a duo-therm the same as domestic unit?

It is spelled Dometic, one in the same as Duo-Therm.  

Not an expert but when I bought both of mine for install the rep at PPL where I bought my AC's said I needed 1 CCC to replace the 5 button I had.  But I decided to upgrade to the MicoAir Easy touch.  My communication cable runs from the thermostat to the rear AC and then it goes to the runs to the front AC.  The front AC also had the wiring for the Furnace.  I just had to make sure the dip switches were set correctly.

Prices on these things seem to be all over the place, so just make sure you are getting the correct size with heat pump. 

From my understanding you need two gaskets if you have the drip cups that connects to the drains so the condensation doesn't run off the roof.  If you only use one gasket there's a good chance the drain cup will be crushed by the AC/roof when the gasket compresses.  I did install 2 gaskets with the one attached that is against the AC unit slotted for the drip cup tubing, and then the other put on top of it.  My old AC did have the cups and stacked gaskets and over time they compress quite a bit. 

10 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

It is spelled Dometic, one in the same as Duo-Therm.  

Thanks spell check got me.  I have a 4 button thermostat.     So I'll be changing them also 

Edited by jraynor

1 hour ago, jraynor said:

Thanks spell check got me.  I have a 4 button thermostat.     So I'll be changing them also 

Yes, you'll need a 10 button CCC at minimum.

I decided to try the MicroAir, slightly more expensive but it is both Bluetooth and WIFI capable.  When I'm in the coach I use the Bluetooth, easy to turn on/off and adjust air anywhere close to the coach.  If you have WIFI hotspot you can check anywhere.  In 2022 I didn't winterize my coach, had it parked in my insulated but unheated garage.  I did have cube heaters and system heat on and I'd check the coaches temp while sitting in my recliner in the house, can't beat that.