Step Won't Retract

Ron P., 2004 Monaco Executive 

I am having trouble with my step not retracting.  It started intermittently,  now it is stuck out.  I purchased new switches,  but when installing,  discovered wires not connected. 

The top switch,  which is one wire is not connected to anything.   Is that a hot wire?

The bottom switch has two wires.   One wire is connected and the other not connected.   Is that a ground wire?

If anyone has a wire diagram for the operation of the step, I would be greatly appreciated .

Hi all. I am not trying to hijack this post and if I need to start a separate one please let me know. I have a similar issue, i Think. The steps extend when I open the door and close when I closed the door. The step switch , when deployed keeps the steps out when the door is closed and I am camping. BUT, if I go to put the rig in storage, turn off the engine, close the door and turn off the main cut off switched in the battery bay for house and chassis, the steps deploy and remain there until I turn back on the switches, put the ignition to accessories and close the door. Then they retract. What do I need to check to keep the stair retracted when in storage?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1nolaguy said:

Hi all. I am not trying to hijack this post and if I need to start a separate one please let me know. I have a similar issue, i Think. The steps extend when I open the door and close when I closed the door. The step switch , when deployed keeps the steps out when the door is closed and I am camping. BUT, if I go to put the rig in storage, turn off the engine, close the door and turn off the main cut off switched in the battery bay for house and chassis, the steps deploy and remain there until I turn back on the switches, put the ignition to accessories and close the door. Then they retract. What do I need to check to keep the stair retracted when in storage?

This  is from my manual.  Read it carefully.  I got a little confused in your explanation, but it sounded like the step was acting properly.  I leave mine where it stays OUT all the time when we camp.  When I start the engine to drive or the ignition is on, it retracts.  I do NOT want the steps opening needlessly when we are camping.

May be wrong….but your step is the same….Monaco used the same vendor for years.

Hope this helps.

1. With the entry door open, turn the step switch on.
2. Close the door. The step should retract and lock in the IN position.
3. Open the door. The step should extend and lock in the OUT position. The step will retract when the door is closed.
4. When the switch is turned off, the step should remain in the extended position. Close the door and turn on the ignition switch. The step will retract for travel.
5. With the power switch off, the step extended, the entry door closed and the ignition turned on, the ignition override system will engage to automatically retract the step.
6. Turn the ignition off and open the door. The step will extend and lock in the OUT position. This is the “last out” feature. When the ignition is on the step will always activate with door movement, regardless of the power switch position.

• Thanks 1

Tom, that is 95% correct as to what is happening. See item #6, when the door is open the stairs extend and then the ignition is turned off the stairs remain extended as is normal. When the door is closed the stairs retract. If the ignition is then turned off, and the switch is off, the stairs still retrace when the door is closed and extend when the door is open, but if you then close the door the stairs remain extended. As a result the stairs remain extended even when in storage, which unnecessarily exposes them to the elements. Also, occasionally, the stairs will retract when the door is closed and ignition is on but then remain retracted when the door is open again. The motor on this unit was replaced a few years ago, along with the gear assembly. I am going to trace all electrical connections to make sure they are good and clean and also the magnetic switch at the door, although I am pretty sure that is not the issue. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Had same problem with mine a while back. There is a round sensor in the door frame about 15 inches up from the corner on the lock side of the door. That sensor will go bad or a wire will come loose. Also it has to be pretty close to the matching one on the door to work. I had to pull mine out a little and silicone it in place to correct it. Good luck.

• Thanks 1