Mouse in the house

4 minutes ago, CorinthWest said:

The clamp trap.  I'm not getting anything in a dozen rat traps (lately).  I think they are growing smart.  In the picture you provided, it looks like the bait (bar) goes into the back of the trap and protrudes into the opening of the "clamp".  But it could be an optical illusion.  I'm also thinking about getting some Homer buckets and buying the false floor traps to go on the buckets.  I know they work for mice, but not sure about these damned rats.

Ok these are the older style of XL tomcat traps. They look a little different now. 

Tomcat Secure-Kill Rat Trap, 1 Trap https://a.co/d/dxL61bU

NOW I see it!  The plastic treadle is/was white plastic.  In your picture, that looked like a "bait bar", but I couldn't tell.

Thank you for the clarification, kind sir.  I've just started cleaning up and looking at the damage from last month.  That rat had started to build a nest on the engine, but the only thing he chewed was a plastic wire keeper on one of the coils.  In that respect, I was INCREDIBLY lucky that it didn't damage the engine harness.  The engine bay is all cleaned up once again.  Still procrastinating on the dash, however.  I'm scared to take it apart.......sigh.

Thanks again, JD.  Keep killing those rodents!

Before I took the engine cover off, I did turn the key on and the instruments came to life, but I didn't try to start it because I didn't know what the engine wiring looked like.  Since cleaning up the nest/mesquite beans off the top of the engine, throwing away what was left of the underside insulation from the cover, and inspecting the engine harness, I have not tried to start it (yet).  But I am getting close.  I just want to open up the dash first and look at the extent of the damage.  The multiple 6" strands of wire I found on the floor was all RJ11 phone wire mixed with what I believe was the insulation from the underside of engine cover (and now needs to be replaced - but it's no big deal).  So I know I at least have issues with the telephones at this point.  But phone wires I can fix.  It's the Sony backup monitor with the proprietary cable to the camera that I'm concerned about.  Worst case, I'll splice it.  I'm pretty good with shrink wrap and a soldering iron.

Thanks for asking, JD.  I really do appreciate the moral support.

32 minutes ago, CorinthWest said:

Before I took the engine cover off, I did turn the key on and the instruments came to life, but I didn't try to start it because I didn't know what the engine wiring looked like.  Since cleaning up the nest/mesquite beans off the top of the engine, throwing away what was left of the underside insulation from the cover, and inspecting the engine harness, I have not tried to start it (yet).  But I am getting close.  I just want to open up the dash first and look at the extent of the damage.  The multiple 6" strands of wire I found on the floor was all RJ11 phone wire mixed with what I believe was the insulation from the underside of engine cover (and now needs to be replaced - but it's no big deal).  So I know I at least have issues with the telephones at this point.  But phone wires I can fix.  It's the Sony backup monitor with the proprietary cable to the camera that I'm concerned about.  Worst case, I'll splice it.  I'm pretty good with shrink wrap and a soldering iron.

Thanks for asking, JD.  I really do appreciate the moral support.

No worries, I know the anxiety these things create. We had another get into our new 5vr (our home)

I saw the eaten wire and was wondering what was going to be dead, but ended up being the harness for the genset, and I don’t have a genset. So crisis averted for now 

TV went out last night while we were at work. Came back and opened cabinet for the cord, had a rat staring at me. I just set a trap in the cabinet. I have zero ideas how this one got in. 

I set traps out last night on the ground and got a big one. Let’s hope the trap gets the one inside 

2788AA20-81F8-4FAD-9632-54FA0BD6F9A5.thumb.jpeg.3097b20cf64cb6a6a929624771ebb982.jpeg

4E202215-711C-4836-86CC-068FA54D1190.jpeg

Oh Jesus, JD.  Does the fun ever end?  It's bad having one OUTSIDE running around, or up in the frame.  But you already know, the BAD ones are INSIDE.  Your wife is a lot braver than mine.  She won't even go IN the coach until I bring a/the carcass out.

I got another one this week too.  Under the hood of my prized Chrysler 300C SRT8.  I think this is the one that got into the coach after I killed the first one that ate the wires.  He went in once, and never went in again.  But the trap in the Chrysler got him good.

A friend of mine has a body shop and my H2 is over there getting some work done.  We were talking the other day and he has ocassional problems with our furry friends as well.  He uses a peppermint candy on the treadle, held on with a zip tie.  Says that whenever he does this, he almost ALWAYS gets one.  Wanted to pass on his advice.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to.  For now, I think my rodent problems are finally solved.  I started the coach and ran it over to the storage shed on Saturday with no issues.  But I still haven't removed the center console.........

Happy hunting!

P.S. That is one BIG rat!  You could've put a leash on it!

IMG_1115.jpg

Edited by CorinthWest