Mouse in the house

Tomcat traps. The best. Just got another pack Rat that somehow made it into the 5vr. For the life of me, I can’t find a hole. 

Anyway, use their green bait, it’s way better than peanut butter or can cheese. 

Get a cat! BTW Goose is a Standard Poodle. They 'tolerate' each other (lol). Never had a critter issue.

Edited by SigPIlot
updated

47 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I use D-Con Bait Stations throughout my coach and never had any mouse issues ever.

Link to product on Amazon that I use.

https://tinyurl.com/4x6bze7r

Ditto:

I keep one in the cabinet above the driver, one in the electrical bay, and one in the water bay compartment. It has ridded me of mice and seems to keep them at bay. 

No finding a snake hiding in the water bays is another story. Just opened the cabinet and waited for him to get hungry. He could still be in there.

Found a snake shed skin in the electrical bay once.

Life on a lake in Florida can be exciting at times. 

8 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Tomcat traps. The best. Just got another pack Rat that somehow made it into the 5vr. For the life of me, I can’t find a hole. 

Anyway, use their green bait, it’s way better than peanut butter or can cheese. 

Which Tomcat trap? Amazon has a few.

Snap trap baited with peanut butter and placed where it is accessible to the mouse but not the dog.

Got this wood rat that has torn up my wiring last week.  I've probably killed a thousand of these, but this is the first one that ever made it INTO the coach.  Still assessing damage.  Wood rats - the most destructive rodent out there.  A single wood rat will destroy a vehicle in one night.

image.thumb.jpeg.49b547dbe373e0700f56b9e03131c5a5.jpeg

Edited by CorinthWest

40 minutes ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Which Tomcat trap? Amazon has a few.

😂 The ones that catch mice. Come on son. 

Tomcat Snap Trap- Pack of 4 https://a.co/d/4iy7bae

And these are what gets the Pack Rats

Tomcat Rat Snap Trap, 1 Rat Size Trap - Reusable - Effectively Kill Rats - Ideal for Home and Farm Use https://a.co/d/aaGwPsF

OP mentioned dogs. We don’t use Decon because of our dogs. They’ll eat anything organic. Alive, dead, half decomposed, doesn’t matter 

Here’s Pack Rat. The Tomcat Bait is crack for them. 

If you have Gophers, Moles, or Voles, I got traps for those as well. 🤣

E71B2B65-D6E5-424A-B31B-D3778A440358.jpeg

4E0812F4-EE8B-4A59-B351-87D7D1C70157.jpeg

• Like 1

JD - It's small consolation, but comforting to know, I am not the only one dealing with these "problems".  When I opened the coach up last week and walked inside and saw 6" hunks of wire on the floor, my stomach just sank.  I've put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars (and a lot of love) in this coach in the 2 years we've owned it trying to get it back in shape - and still have yet to spend a single night in it.  Now this.  And what's worse is, I know he was in the dash and that is where the hunk(s) of wire came from.  I know I have to go take it apart to assess the damage, but right now, I just can't bring myself to do it.  I'm afraid of what I'm going to find.  Just makes you want to cry. 

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Ouch, that's gotta hurt.    BTW JD, I have gophers and moles what sort of traps do you have

E71B2B65-D6E5-424A-B31B-D3778A440358.jpeg

Gopher Hawks. 

3E5EAD3A-104C-42A3-BF14-BB57166C0747.jpeg

03A89105-182A-49AF-AB52-104FEF1AFF25.jpeg

12 minutes ago, CorinthWest said:

JD - It's small consolation, but comforting to know, I am not the only one dealing with these "problems".  When I opened the coach up last week and walked inside and saw 6" hunks of wire on the floor, my stomach just sank.  I've put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars (and a lot of love) in this coach in the 2 years we've owned it trying to get it back in shape - and still have yet to spend a single night in it.  Now this.  And what's worse is, I know he was in the dash and that is where the hunk(s) of wire came from.  I know I have to go take it apart to assess the damage, but right now, I just can't bring myself to do it.  I'm afraid of what I'm going to find.  Just makes you want to cry. 

I feel your pain. Thankfully our coaches have color coded wiring. It will help, not fun, but will help. 

I hate these things. The 5th wheel we sold in May, one of the slides stopped working. I figured it was a swintek and it was out of alignment. Tried and tried to get it to slide in. Just about gave up and made an appointment for service, when I saw just some small colored chunks on the bay floor. Looked up, they had eaten all the wires to the module. Spliced it and was good to go. They just get everywhere. And I have no idea how they get in. Every hole is foamed, wire meshed and screwed tight. 

• Like 1

JD - Then you know that God-awful feeling.  To those of you that don't know it, I pray you never find out.  It's horrible.  And what was worse was it took me a week to kill this thing.  I ended up with 7 glue traps, 3 plastic snap traps, 1 live (small) animal trap, and 1 bad-azz wood (old style finger breaker) rat trap - and a mouse trap in case he had friends.  All inside the coach at once and all baited with peanut butter, dog food, and even some KFC.  I found him in the morning just under the coach.  I think he was working on a nest in the engine bay when he bit it.  But for a week, I went to bed every night knowing he was in there destroying the wiring.

It's not easy living out here in rural Texas.  In 90 days between October 1 and December 31 of 2016, I killed 284 wood rats and 49 rattlesnakes between my shop and my little parking lot.  That was my best record in the 24 years I have been here.

In my neck of the woods, we have Roof Rats. They like the citrus when it falls on the ground and make your attack their home.  I built a carport garage rat trap with only one way to the bait, across the trip pad. Got nine last week. I need to find a gopher snake. The first time I set the trap, I tried four different baits, one on each trap. The winner is birdseed, even over peanut butter.

We don’t have pets at the present time. So, I set the trap at night and my wife checks when she gets up before sunup.  If any traps are set at daylight the birds are at them. Not good.

I saw how to make my trap on YouTube. I put small nails up through bottom where trap comes down, and screwed traps to bottom of box. I still had a rat that was caught by his neck wriggle free.  But the following night he wasn’t lucky, I was! 

Each part of the country has their own set of problems with bothersome creatures.  Ours is roof rats and this rat problem is only in the last 10 years. I hate it when I see tiny footprints on my motorhome engine.  Hmmm, time to go set the traps.

1DF076EE-835D-4650-9E45-D51AFCC827A7.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, CorinthWest said:

JD - where did you get those particular rat traps with the white bar shaped slide in bait?  I have looked all over for them and can't find them anywhere.  I loved the idea!

The clamp trap? Or the hole trap? 

The clamp trap.  I'm not getting anything in a dozen rat traps (lately).  I think they are growing smart.  In the picture you provided, it looks like the bait (bar) goes into the back of the trap and protrudes into the opening of the "clamp".  But it could be an optical illusion.  I'm also thinking about getting some Homer buckets and buying the false floor traps to go on the buckets.  I know they work for mice, but not sure about these damned rats.