2010 Camelot Bedroom slide roller sagging

The rear roller on the driver side bedroom has sank down some. I can’t see what is actually suppose to support the roller. I’m thinking the only way to repair its foundation is to remove the slide. Is there any videos on how to remove a bedroom slide? It appears to me that the trim on the inside definitely has to be removed first. I’m not sure how to remove the trim. Does anyone have experience or videos on the steps to remove the slide?

2010 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ

I don’t have a Camelot, but most rollers can be accessed by jus jacking up the slide. Just make sure you have room and disconnect any mechanism.

Thanks for the reply. I just recently installed Talin plates. I did jack the slide up to do that. I can lay down on the floor next to the built in nightstand and see the roller underneath the stand. I can also see it from the outside underneath the slide. The roller is now slanted on one side and the whole roller has sunk down about an inch. However, I’m unable to do any repairs to what the roller rests on because the slide covers the area of the roller. It appears I’ll have to remove the slide completely to access the area of the roller.

On my coach the bed slide has rollers accessible from outside with these hidden behind the sill wiper seal. You have to force your fingers tru to find it. 

For my closet slide I could not find the adjustment bolts at first. These I found in the bays beneath the slide. 

Just to keep me humble, each slide is different on my coach.

Yes, mine are also accessible behind the wiper seal. I can also adjust the roller up and down with the adjustment bolt in the center of the roller frame. The problem is that whatever the roller is bolted down to is not accessible to repair/replace because it is all underneath the slide. I need to access/replace the floor/frame or whatever the roller frame sits on because the roller structure has sunk down and the roller is now slanted and to low and no more adjustment . So, I guess I’m asking you, how would you replace the floor or whatever the roller base sits on without removing slide?

4 hours ago, mbunchfive said:

Yes, mine are also accessible behind the wiper seal. I can also adjust the roller up and down with the adjustment bolt in the center of the roller frame. The problem is that whatever the roller is bolted down to is not accessible to repair/replace because it is all underneath the slide. I need to access/replace the floor/frame or whatever the roller frame sits on because the roller structure has sunk down and the roller is now slanted and to low and no more adjustment . So, I guess I’m asking you, how would you replace the floor or whatever the roller base sits on without removing slide?

Chris T will probably jump in sometime.  Assuming that your 2010 was an orphaned MH, as in, Navistar finished out all the 2009 units that had been “physically” started…and they were 2010, .and then when they started the first “not on the line” MH’s, they were 2011….then mine is probably the same as yours.  I can tell you, unfortunately, from the posts in 2010/11 on forward and also talking to the techs at a major Monaco/HR dealership, that the orphaned MH were problem children for the dealers.  They were finished by mostly untrained folks using whatever was available and “looked close”.  Will not get into horror stories, but one 2010 Imperial took 2 techs 4 weeks to go over and replace parts that were wrong….and that was the General Manager’s personal unit.

Bottom line….you will have, I think, to do some interior disassembly.  From all my digging and probing and wondering about my bed room slide, and yes…I was one of the first to install Chris’ plates on mine due to a “bounce” that cracked and indented the slide floor, I do have hands on experience.  I believe that disassembling the bed is the correct, if not the only or easy way.  That is especially true for an owner repair.  It takes a LOT of looking and doing things carefully, but I have been down one or two levels there so stripping bed and probably the half (assuming similar to mine) night stand is the process.  I had a “delamination” of the rear edge of my slide and I injected high strength wood adhesive and was able to compress and totally restore the slide floor, from the INSIDE.  Once I got the adhesive into the “sandwich” I then was able to make a compression plate and the side was perfect….as I  had to cut off the edge frame a few years later when I added the plates.

I also know, personally from spending a week at a repair shop in Elkhart that you have to undone or detach the motor and that is done from the inside….then, the proverbial 2 men and a boy.  I have also had my entire wardrobe cabinet and counter top and TV and such pulled out and laid out on the bed.  I didn’t do it, but watched.  Monaco did not do any crazy gluing or epoxy or such.  #2 square drives.  Brad or trim wire nails for the trim…putty knife or thin pry bar will pull. 

On the bedroom slide, I don’t think you will even have to an air nailer…. BUT, the bed and interior have to come out.  Obviously the slide will be extended.  Then you jack up the slide….do both sides…so that the floor or your plates are above the rollers.  Then rebuild, reattach or reengineer the brackets and supports for the roller. Then slowly lower the front side down on the good roller.  Lower the rear side and look inside and outside and get the floor parallel with some surface.  Once you get it level of squared up, then adjust the roller up.  Release the jacks….don’t take out…just let the slide sit on the rollers.  Repeat your looking and measure the clearance from the outside to where the frame is.  In other words…get it back to where it started.  Then you will be good to go.

That’s my take, and not from an armchair quarterback’s viewpoint.  

Good Luck.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the info. I’ll attach a picture. The roller is underneath the left built in nightstand about 4-6” back from front edge. The area of the floor in front of the nightstand, underneath and to the right toward bed has sunk down maybe an inch causing the roller to go down also. If the nightstand were out of my way I could get to top of roller and figure out what to do. Not sure how to remove it since it is built in!

I would really like to talk with you. I’m just not so good explaining or understanding by doing text.

I would appreciate a call from you. I do believe we have the same MH.

My cell #918-351-9720

Thanks

Sorry, here’s the picture 

2010 Monaco 42 PDQ 25.jpg

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2010 Camelot Bedroom slide roller sagging

Mike, Thanks for explaining the problem you have. 
Tom provided a lot of good detail and much better than I could.

I can only add one suggestion when adjusting the rollers based on my issue earlier this year. Check the exterior paint lines on the coach and slideout for alignment. This may help and it assumes that the factory got the alignment correct in the first place, as per design.

Quick summary, based on Mike's phone call. What he has, I believe, is a floor failure...as in the Upper layer or whatever the carpet is laid on has "Failed".  If you look at the picture. The nightstand on the left extends OUT maybe a foot or so over the sidewall and the floor. If you look at the wide vertical trim piece on top of that nightstand.  That is where the side wall is. Right under that nightstand is where the Roller Frame is. Best we can noodle, the frame or bracket holding the sidewall sits square on the floor and is anchored or attached the vertical sidewall. The floor (upper layer of the ASSUMED vacuum formed, foam filled floor structure....which is I THINK...not solid buy has braces or stabilizing or structural "Perlines" (Monaco term) HAS FAILED. the roller frame has dropped down maybe an inch....or the floor, as it mates up to the side wall, has failed and is SAGGING down by an inch...  It is PROBABLY flush or OK of the left side...but now the roller is LOWER and is down. 

The issue is getting to the flooring....  Determining whether a bridge plate (think a Talin SS plate) could be used to cover the void....glued or laminated to the floor...or if the floor board needs to be ripped out.  Then new or additional braces or perlines added and then the floor restored....then reassembled.

If ANYONE has some first hand knowledge of the floor construction, please contact Mike. I know, from watching the tech (30 years and I did a reference check with an ex HR Dealer General Manager...he KNEW his stuff.  He totally disassembled the offsite slide's cabinets and counter tops and laid them on the bed. So, first, you gotta get out the nightstand and then the left side (or maybe the whole thing) the bed frame....THEN....you decide HOW best to fix it.

THAT is the issue...  Chime in with info if you have done the actual removal. Mike is ordering an inspection camera and intends, and he sounds QUITE CAPABLE, of doing the job.

That is the gist of it....

As an aside....I had a SIMILAR failure....except the floor was FINE. The thin underlayment of the slide took the hit and indented and then propogated the indent or the void...but it was only 1/4" of so and I Bondoed and leveled and then installed (laminated) the Talin plate....great.