Washer/ Dryer water lines

Dave Pumphrey

I had to pull my Splendide washer out to make a repair.

ready to put it back in, but want to replace the rubber gaskets on the water lines where they connect to the machine,

They are not the regular flat hose washers.

There are Pex lines run right to the machine, with a 90 degree Pex to garden hose end.

The rubber gaskets are kind of cone shaped.

I have tried Google & Amazon so far.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ki38GNC9YXxmJUto9

18 minutes ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

ready to put it back in, but want to replace the rubber gaskets on the water lines where they connect to the machine,

There are Pex lines run right to the machine, with a 90 degree Pex to garden hose end.

I suspect that's a standard flat washer deformed by a unique pex fitting configuration and high torque.  If all else fails, you can find the fitting below at Lowes, but you 'll have to come up with a crimping tool to install them.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1-2-in-dia-Brass-PEX-Adapter-Elbow-Crimp-Fitting/1000182985

I just looked at it again, this one is 1/2 Pex to 1/2 pipe thread.

I need 1/2 Pex to 3/4 garden hose thread.

I will go to Lowes in the morning & have a look.

I do have Pex tools, been using Pex for years.

Edited by Dave Pumphrey

39 minutes ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

I just looked at it again, this one is 1/2 Pex to 1/2 pipe thread.

I need 1/2 Pex to 3/4 garden hose thread.

I will go to Lowes in the morning & have a look.

I do have Pex tools, been using Pex for years.

Most welcome.  Pex is the pipe to use down here on elevated beach houses.  It can freeze and blister, the blister can be hammered flat, and the pipe won't break.   (Whatever you don't don't ever use polybutylene (that gray plastic stuff) inside anything.  Fittings have a bad habit of shattering suddenly and completely, resulting in full flow inside walls, ceilings, floors, or wherever. )

Guest Cruzbill

I would replace the  pex elbow with a Shark Bite fitting. Those cone shaped washers fit what's called a Flair-It fitting and to me have been problematic. Even when I replaced with new Flair It cone washers, the fitting still leaked. Do the shark bite thing once and be done with it. 

I don't trust Pex Pipe fittings on a washer or washer/dryer combo where I can not get to them if there is a leak from vibration of a moving vehicle..  And sure enough during our warranty period both the cold and hot water fittings at the back of our stacked washer and dryer leaked.  Under warranty I had the repair facility change the Pex fittings over to Compression fittings and also had them install compression type shutoff valves where I could get at them to isolate the washer from the rest of the water system.  Pex works great in homes and cottages that are not driving down the highway.

Guest Cruzbill

Not to stir up the hornet's nest, or question your experience, Vegaman, but your whole coach is plumbed w/Pex. Are you saying that the pex is the problem, or the crimp-type fittings, are they the issue? I purchased a new travel trailer in 2014 and found that every pex fitting leaked. The leaks were at the hand-tight fitting at each fixture. One fitting at a time, I had to tighten each just a bit. No leaks since. I haven't seen the copper crimp ring on the pex leak, only the sealing at the fitting. I will also vouch for Shark Bite fittings to replace the crimp-type pex fittings. I did have pex pipe itself leak, on both the in/out lines at the Aqua Hot. I fixed with Shark Bite couplings, no leaks now.  One more idea for the OP is that one could cut out the pex elbow and replace with a Shark Bite male adapter, then use a regular washing machine hook-up hose that comes with the garden hose fitting on one end. The newer stainless woven hoses are burst resistant, just put 'em on new washer/ dryer setup at the sticks and bricks. 

Cruzbill,

No problem.  My point was basically that the rear of a washer installed in a motor home is not the best place to get at if a leak occurs, which did happen in our case.   The cold water Pex fitting leaked at the input connection to the 3/4 inch shut off valve.   So we had to shut down our water system because we could not get to that Pex fitting.  So I was not convinced that just reparing the Pex fitting would solve that problem.  That is why I insisted that compression fittings be used and shut off valves that I could get to to isolate the washer in case of any future leaks.    I also had them remove the rubber water hoses from the 3/4 inch valves to the washer and replace them with steel clad lines.  You are correct that the majority of the water lines are Pex type.   However the majority of those water lines are for the sinks and toilets (we have a bath and a half), the water heater,  the inside shower, outside shower and drain system.  Those Pex fittings for those items are accessible under the sink cabinets or behind  a drawer or other removable partition in case of a problem.   So yes, as long as you can get to the fittings, Pex works fine.   But what if there was a Pex leak at a fitting you could not get to in your trailer. Would you just fix it after going through what ever it took to finally get at that connection after being without your water supply for a while on the road?  Or would you repair it in such a way as we did to prevent it from happening at that connection again.  For us it was behind a washer with a dryer stacked on top in our motor home, So we did a better fix at that location.  Stay well, stay safe.

Dick

2015  HR Ambassador 38DB

Edited by vegaman19760
speliing

8 hours ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

This is the fix I came up with. I now have valves to quickly turn off water if needed.

new one on left, compared to original on right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZU5FPp5Vm79u2CeN6

What is going to happen when the washer shakes during its spin cycle and pulls against those solid connections? I would suggest using the correct flex hoses between the fixed Pex piping and the movable washing machine.

To Hitechpete,

There are no "SOLID CONNECTIONS" to our stacked Washer Dryer,   The Dryer Vent Tube goes directly to the outside wall and is a very short coiled flexible type.  The washer hot and cold feed lines are Braided Steel Clad Flex lines (replacing the original rubber factory lines) just as what should be on home washers.  Those steel clad lines are fed from 3/4 inch brass hot and cold shutoff valves that are hard mounted to a wall stud.  Those brass valves are fed from hot and cold Pex water lines that are connected to the brass shutoff valves with compression type fittings and not the original factory pinch or crimp type fittings that leaked.   When or if the dryer shakes, the Dryer Vent Tube takes up the vibration.  When the washer shakes, the Steel Clad  Flex lines take up the vibration. 

On 5/3/2020 at 7:41 PM, Dave Pumphrey said:

Dave, Gloria, & miss Molly 

Those cone shaped rubber gaskets are Flair-It hose fitting washers.

Most RV parts stores have them.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:23 AM, hitechpete said:

What is going to happen when the washer shakes during its spin cycle and pulls against those solid connections? I would suggest using the correct flex hoses between the fixed Pex piping and the movable washing machine.

The Pex lines are not mounted to the wall, They come up thru the floor next to the drain line, then up to the washer.

This is how it was plumbed from the factory, I just added the valves to allow them to be turned off conveniently.

The Pex lines have slack to allow movement.

5 minutes ago, Dave Pumphrey said:

The Pex lines are not mounted to the wall, They come up thru the floor next to the drain line, then up to the washer.

This is how it was plumbed from the factory, I just added the valves to allow them to be turned off conveniently.

The Pex lines have slack to allow movement.

I see:)

• Like 1