Run Flat Protection

Nor does any other site. There is a post on IRV2 where someone had them installed....said price was not too bad, but also added in a special levelling system....MEGA $$.  The system has been in use in the military and also the "Bulletproof your Limo" industry.  Hutchinson actually makes them and they are available there.  Looks like a hookup between Spartan and Hutchinson....to compete with the Tyron system.

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

I have Hutchinson inserts in my steers. They are custom made for a specific wheel profile. Just in case that hopefully never happens.

OK....now that is interesting.  Since Accuride (SP?) and Alcoa were the two major wheel vendors, were there differences in the wheel well for the various wheels?  I would have thought that a 22.5 X Y.yy (Width) rim or wheel would have had the same overall profile and distance or width and diameter.

Did you have to send them a PRINT of the wheel or did you supply the OEM part number and they made them?

Fascinating.....Thanks.  

35 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

OK....now that is interesting.  Since Accuride (SP?) and Alcoa were the two major wheel vendors, were there differences in the wheel well for the various wheels?  I would have thought that a 22.5 X Y.yy (Width) rim or wheel would have had the same overall profile and distance or width and diameter.

Did you have to send them a PRINT of the wheel or did you supply the OEM part number and they made them?

Fascinating.....Thanks.  

I had to send them the whole wheel because they did not have mine in their database. The profile varies with PN and even date of manufacture as I found out. At that time, 2019, the minimum order was 4 pieces so I have a spare pair, but it is really specific as not to move sideways.

To show the difference, here are two Alcoa's, same PN, different date. Notice the flat section vs. concave. That's how precise they make the inserts to fit snugly.

2019-05-30_19-45-11_826.jpg

Edited by Ivan K

15 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I had to send them the whole wheel because they did not have mine in their database. The profile varies with PN and even date of manufacture as I found out. At that time, 2019, the minimum order was 4 pieces so I have a spare pair, but it is really specific as not to move sideways.

To show the difference, here are two Alcoa's, same PN, different date. Notice the flat section vs. concave. That's how precise they make the inserts to fit snugly.

2019-05-30_19-45-11_826.jpg

I don’t think, or maybe should say….the top one, will not work on a Tyron band.  Bottom one maybe.  I did my band install twice…and the tire bead contact surface or width seemed narrower….but me memory gets fuzzy