Diamondshield

I'm not 100% sure that's what I've got but I'm talking about the clear plastic protector film on the front of my Camelot from the bottom up to the windshield. There are different brands I think.

Has anyone taken their class A to a shop and had this removed and then replaced? I know it took a day to put on last year when I was having my body repairs done but I don't know how long it took to take off since I wasn't there.

Here's the thing, this stuff started coming loose on my trip home to IL from Gerzeny's in Sarasota. I called them when I got to my next stop and they said No problem, it's got a lifetime guarantee. I said Well it will have to be next fall when I come back to Florida because I have to get to IL. Sent them pictures and documented it with emails.
Well next fall is almost here. I'm trying to figure out my living accommodations while this is being done. Body shop manager isn't much help, he obviously doesn't know, he just says We'll make an appointment and I'll talk to them and see. Well I need an idea in advance. Also he's not been forthcoming with his sub contractor vendor who does this so I can't contact them. Last year at first he said they have vendors all over the country so maybe they can come to you in IL and do it, well that fell through, the vendor said No it has to be done here and in Gerzeny's shop.

So long story short I'm wondering how long a removal and replacement takes.

37 minutes ago, FishAR said:

I'm not 100% sure that's what I've got but I'm talking about the clear plastic protector film on the front of my Camelot from the bottom up to the windshield. There are different brands I think.

Has anyone taken their class A to a shop and had this removed and then replaced? I know it took a day to put on last year when I was having my body repairs done but I don't know how long it took to take off since I wasn't there.

Here's the thing, this stuff started coming loose on my trip home to IL from Gerzeny's in Sarasota. I called them when I got to my next stop and they said No problem, it's got a lifetime guarantee. I said Well it will have to be next fall when I come back to Florida because I have to get to IL. Sent them pictures and documented it with emails.
Well next fall is almost here. I'm trying to figure out my living accommodations while this is being done. Body shop manager isn't much help, he obviously doesn't know, he just says We'll make an appointment and I'll talk to them and see. Well I need an idea in advance. Also he's not been forthcoming with his sub contractor vendor who does this so I can't contact them. Last year at first he said they have vendors all over the country so maybe they can come to you in IL and do it, well that fell through, the vendor said No it has to be done here and in Gerzeny's shop.

So long story short I'm wondering how long a removal and replacement takes.

Many more folks knowledgeable than me, but the OEM was not a 3M product.  I had Dazzling Detail replace mine in 2018.  The use a 3M film.  It took about a day and a half to totally strip and touch up the paint.  Then a day to install.  Paul Newman is the owner and has mobile folks in a large area.

As a suggestion, I would have the headlights polished….as well as the ones on your Toad.  Have them film the headlights.  The 3M film is UV resistant.  My headlights  are still sparkling.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Many more folks knowledgeable than me, but the OEM was not a 3M product.  I had Dazzling Detail replace mine in 2018.  The use a 3M film.  It took about a day and a half to totally strip and touch up the paint.  Then a day to install.  Paul Newman is the owner and has mobile folks in a large area.

As a suggestion, I would have the headlights polished….as well as the ones on your Toad.  Have them film the headlights.  The 3M film is UV resistant.  My headlights  are still sparkling.

Wife and I were looking at it the other day and how much was loose and where the breaks in it are.

Noticed that the top section under the windshield seems to be the original from the factory still. They had to remove the bottom sections and the generator slide section to do the body repairs from the tow truck incident.

It seemed the top original section was MUCH thicker than the new stuff.

• 1 year later...

Another year, more diamondshield problems.

Apparently the installer is an incompetent clown.

First replacement in April/May 2022 after tow truck roughed up the front of the Camelot and had to have body work.

Was coming loose before we got out of Florida. Was on way home, wife had doctor appts. so we continued on home and Gerzeny said we could deal with it on the next trip. 2nd replacement under warranty, Jan of 2023. Major headache, had to rent a cabin as I said. Had to drive motorhome the 100 miles to Gerzenys Nokomis as they said it had to be done in their shop in case installer caused paint damage and they had to repaint. After done had to drive 100 miles back to resort.

Drove Camelot 1200 miles back to IL at end of winter, washed it and parked it inside. No pressure washer has ever been used on it. Now it's bubbling up again on the edge on driver side and around headlights. Gerzeny doesn't want to be forthcoming on the installer as they say it's their problem to deal with him, but I'm about over all this and the same guy screwing up the same thing over and over again. Would love to contact Diamondshield and lodge a huge complaint but I don't even know who the guy/company doing the installs is.

So I'll take some pics and make the call to Gerzeny this week. I hope they have the same body shop manager as before, I've dealt with 3 different people so far.

• Sad 1

• 6 months later...

Update on the diamondshield saga.

Gerzeny's pretty much quit answering my emails, after insisting all repairs to this must be done at their facility. So using my google skills and the first name of the installer from the ticket Gerzeny's gave me (they never did give me a warranty on it), I located the install company.

Called them direct. Hell of a nice guy. He said he understood the problem and would be good for it. He couldn't speak for why Gerzeny's was ignoring me. He's going to fix it on our way home, just pick a day. Said he has 50 amps if I want to spend the night. It's not really out of my way, maybe 5 miles off of 75 up by Tampa. So we're leaving May 15 and stopping up there.

I wish we could have done this the first time instead of the clownshow of having to rent a cabin and driving motorhome to Sarasota and back, all on my dime. Gerzeny's has no parking, no room, you pull up on the road to get in their gate and the fire district is telling you to get out of the way. They've got 5 acres of stuff crammed into 3 acres and very little access to it.

So we'll see it this works. I feel a lot better after talking to the guy without Gerzeny's in the middle of it.