Lippert entry steps question

Been reading quite a bit on entry steps, mostly Kwikee, but have not read anything regarding this topic.

SCS Lippert 2 step entry steps makes a loud grounching sound both extending and retracting. 2006 Endeavour. I had read somewhere that they need cleaning, so, decided to give it a shot.

After cleaning the visible outside stuff, I crawled underneath and decided to unbolt the 3 bolts holding the motor to the step gear housing. After breaking off 2 of the bolts below the frame rail and removing the motor, I drilled out the 2 broken off bolts, re threaded them for a slightly larger bolt, then attemped to re assemble. Whoops! Didn't realize that the motor housing bolt holes were not big enough and that's where she broke apart.

Ordered a new one to arrive tomorrow from Amazon for $149.00 CDN (surprised the hell out of me 'cause I was sure they didn't exist anymore) and after playing around with the old motor housing found a way to enlarge, ever so slightly, the holes on the motor housing to accomodate the new bolts.

Question though...will this stop the grounching noise that I hear whenever the steps go in or out? If not, is there anything else I should look for? Lippert says that it is not necessary to lubricate anything (although I did use dry Teflon lube) and I cannot see anything out of alignment or bent.

Is there anywhere else I can/should clean? Any pictures of where this should happen would be welcome. Steps always seem to work...just sounds like someone is rocking a very noisy wheelchair or opening a very rusty screen door whenever it extends or retracts. Would like to do this now that the motor is out of the way.

Thanks!

I used a pressure washer to clean mine really well. Then applied a small amount of graphite spray lube.  They are pretty quiet now,  not perfect.  

Will be interested in what others have done. 

Just now, LakeBob said:

I used a pressure washer to clean mine really well. Then applied a small amount of graphite spray lube.  They are pretty quiet now,  not perfect.  

Will be interested in what others have done. 

I have heard some people say that they can be taken apart (I assume they are referring to the steps themselves) in order to clean where the arms meet the steps. Never tried that before, so am looking for some guidance. I have pressure washed the top and front of the steps before with no difference...but perhaps I needed to focus on the arms where they meet the steps?

I rebuilt mine as the bushings and motor was shot. Ouch! On your motor cost. Got mine off eBay for $35. Lippert wanted almost $250 for bushing kit. Got my bushings and shims at McMaster Carr.

1 minute ago, Gary M said:

I rebuilt mine as the bushings and motor was shot. Ouch! On your motor cost. Got mine off eBay for $35. Lippert wanted almost $250 for bushing kit. Got my bushings and shims at McMaster Carr.

Do you have a picture/link to the bushings you got? Where they the 2 step or 3 step model (don't know if that makes any difference to the motor) I was thinking bushings as well based on my lawnmower rear drive wheel problems that always seem to end up with the rear wheel bushings.

3 minutes ago, guy_ethier said:

Do you have a picture/link to the bushings you got? Where they the 2 step or 3 step model (don't know if that makes any difference to the motor) I was thinking bushings as well based on my lawnmower rear drive wheel problems that always seem to end up with the rear wheel bushings.

I will look for the info and post. The bushings are a hair too long but I just placed them in the arm with shims needed and cut extra off. I got my info from a write-up either here or another site.

Info on bushings and shims for my Lippert two step.

McMaster Carr
562-692-5911

562-695-2323 (fax) la.sales@mcmaster.com

1677K325 1.28 each
Ultra-Low-Friction Oil-Embedded Sleeve Bearing, Flanged, for 3/8" Shaft Diameter and 1/2" Housing ID, 3/8" Long

90482A313 11.08 per pack
1074-1095 Spring Steel Ring Shim, 0.015" Thick, 3/8" ID, packs of 25