Houghton AC/Heatpump

klcdenver
Go to solution Solved by nvrtoofast,

I have a 2007 diplomat 40skq. Currently it has 2 penguin ii with heat pumps. I know the Houghton has a remote control thermostat. I also have 2 Atwood furnaces and all operate off of a Dometic 5 button thermostat. I would like to change my front unit to a Houghton. Question is how would the front furnace operate? Will it still work of existing thermostat or would some kind of retrofit be required?  Thanks in advance.

Kenneth

• Solution

I replaced the rear in this manner and the front unit and furnace continued to work. The furnace and each unit are relatively closed loop to thermostat.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:06 PM, klcdenver said:

I have a 2007 diplomat 40skq. Currently it has 2 penguin ii with heat pumps. I know the Houghton has a remote control thermostat. I also have 2 Atwood furnaces and all operate off of a Dometic 5 button thermostat. I would like to change my front unit to a Houghton. Question is how would the front furnace operate? Will it still work of existing thermostat or would some kind of retrofit be required?  Thanks in advance.

Kenneth

Hello Kenneth,

So, you can retain your current thermostat control as is.  Now this thermostat control will only control your furnace.  The Houghton is only controlled by the included remote IR (Infrared) thermostat control and does not have a wiring harness available to integrate with any other thermostat.  There is great functionality in the IR control as you will be able to control the Houghton from the drivers seat and you may also control the Houghton remotely if you have a cellular access point and purchase the Switchbot IR relay from Amazon. 

In summary, the Houghton will not work with any existing thermostat and there is no retrofit hardware for that possibility.

Edited by CAT Stephen