Brake switch, brake lights, and cruise control cancel

Steve P

Noticed on the last trip that cruise control wasn't canceling when I hit the brakes.  Made a mental note and quit using cruise.  Today, on the next leg, a brake light relay went out, possibly due to the trailer connection plug being loose and the intermittent connection/ disconnection fatiguing the relay.  Brake lights workedfine after a relay swap.  Still flaky cruise cancellation when braking.   Any ideas?  RV Tech tested the brake switch inside the generator compartment and it is fine. 

Thanks, 

Steve

Steve,

I had the same problem but for a different reason. 

On my 2002 Diplomat there are 2 switches above the brake pedal assessable from generator compartment one is for brake lights and the other is for canceling cruise control.

On mine the previous owner had installed a brake controller for his tow. Whoever put it in used the cruise cancel signal line instead of the brake light line for the controller. I removed the controller and every thing works fine now.

The cruise cancel switch is a pretty heavy duty switch and the cruise cancel signal is low voltage so the switch is probably not the issue. The cancel signal goes to a relay and that relay actually does the canceling. There ends the similarity between our coaches mine being an 02 and yours an 08.

You will need to trace the circuit to find which relay or board is the cause and it may wind up being a bad connection.

Good luck and I hope the 08 diagrams are clearer than the 02.

Cliff

Steve,

Monaco was pretty good on their wiring. All the white wires have their function printed on them, at least on my 02 Diplomat. Take a close look at the wire from the switch and it should thee you what it is for. On mine it goes to a relay board in the compartment under the driver. You will have to refer to the 08 wiring diagram to be sure.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot find a relay or a fuse for my cruise/ cancel in any of my compartments.   I have a 2007 Diplomat/Endeavor wiring diagram but no 2008.  I just realized that it shows a BRK SIG RLY, so now I'm looking for that.  Checking front left and right rear bays... sigh.

During the hunting I found a couple of tubular things in what I think is each one of the brake switch circuits under the front genny access driver side.   Anyone know what they are? 

The relays seem to be mostly those in the attached pic.  Is the C0612 on those of any significance? 

20221221_130359.jpg

Looks like one of the relays in the brake signaling circuit for the cruise control/cancel is an Omron G8VL-1A4T-R-L which I can't find on Amazon.  There seems to be one on Ebay, but the sellers rating is questionable.  Does anyone know of a good source for relays?  I checked at NAPA for another relay, and they were about 4x as expensive as Amazon!