SpaceX Launch on Saturday

I know some folks on this forum are on Florida's east coast. Peggy and I are in Crystal River (Florida's west coast) and we are considering the 2.5 hr drive to see the SpaceX launch on Saturday. Any suggestions where we can park to see the launch? I have become somewhat handicapped, so we are looking for a place with easy access. My small dog Haley will be traveling with us, so some place dog friendly would be nice. Appreciate any suggestions...Thanks.

Jim G.
2006 Camelot
TST Rep

Jetty Campground at Port Canaveral. Top of the line park but with a couple caveats.  They WILL charge you daily for your dog AND you MUST provide shots and licensing information at check in. Wasn't an issue for us as we travel with all our dogs papers but be aware.  Be sure  to call to see if they are OPEN. I've provided a link below. We watched a launch from the campground. Check out the link below for photos. Be sure to scroll both forwards and backwards for all the pics.....Dennis

https://executive45pbq.blogspot.com/2014/09/more-port-canaveral-florida.html

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Campground

Edited by Dennis H

Lived there for 35 years and worked at the space center.  Be prepared for traffic jams coming and going.  Getting to Cocoa Beach or Titusville will be impossible on the Beachline, 520, 50.

I would suggest coming in thru Ocala and take 40 to I95 and getting off 95 at Garden St and go East to the river.  There is a park there called Sand Point Park.  But all this area will be extremely packed. You can expect hours delay if you try to go too far south on US 1.  View farther south may be a little better but then expect an hour at least to get back to 95 to head north to 40 and to Ocala.

But lots of excitement and if you haven’t experienced a launch then it may be worth it.  Personally I’ve been to close to them and even got thrown backwards when a Delta II exploded a few feet off the ground back in 1995.  Have fun and be prepared for very few wearing masks and never practicing social distancing.

Personally I will watch it on tv from Ocala.

murray walker

Don’t bring a rv

Thanks guys...We actually just wanted to drive our car there and see the launch and leave the coach in Crystal River at our RV Lot. I was hoping it would not be such a problem getting there and coming back, but I realize it is the first launch since 2011. I used to know several Monacoer's on that coast, but many are no longer there. We will look at your suggestions Murray and make a decision to go or not go. We have never been to a rocket launch!!

Jim G.
2006 Camelot
TST Rep

Just get on A1A around Patrick Air Force Base and view from beach. You will hit more traffic as you go south, nearer the cape but you can stop at beach asking anywhere before the crowds. 

You are a bit away from the launch but it is still spectacular from there.

-Jamie

'03 HR Scepter PDT

19 hours ago, ncjimgr said:

Thank you all for the suggestions! We ended up staying in Crystal River and, believe it or not, we saw the rocket as it made its way north along the coast! Very cool to see it!

Jim

I couldn't watch the launch in person 😞...... but on TV in Wisconsin it looked like the rocket  went straight UP. 🙂

2 hours ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Jim

I couldn't watch the launch in person 😞...... but on TV in Wisconsin it looked like the rocket  went straight UP. 🙂

Mel, you're correct in that it starts off going straight up. As the ship rises it's trajectory moves and it travels upward and northward until it jettisons it's second stage and enters it's orbit. It is amazing to watch. I was also privileged to have had the honor of seeing the Space Shuttle LAND. That was awesome. Shuttle sonic boom and the Star Spangled Banner started playing. It finished about the same time the shuttle cruised to a stop. Lots of cheering and clapping........Dennis